1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

day time running lights...melted inside

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 93civEJ1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    93civEJ1

93civEJ1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR
    Procomp 6" Stage 1, Bilstein 5100's in front, flowmaster 40 series
    Anyone have an issue with the yellow area on your headlight having a melted look where the day time running lights are always on? My friends noticed that today....looks like poop... :mad:

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    09taco4x4

09taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Valant cold air intake kit Borla catback exhaust 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Walker Evans 2.5's w/ TSB spring and add-a-leaf Light racing upper a-arms 285/70/R17 Dynapro ATM tires 17x9 XD wheels
    yep happened on my 09 with only 46k miles......called dealership I bought it from and they replaced both my headlights under warranty.

Mke sure u call Toyota Customer Service line and report it, if they get enough complaints, Toyota could do a TSB or something.

Oh I asked the service manager at the dealership what if it happens again and he said theres nothing they can do if it happens a second time.

I am def gonna get some LED bulbs to put in there!!

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    You can use a Saturn/GM 14v-rated bulb (instead of 12v) that puts out a little less heat. I have them in mine, and have had NO issues so far. I don't have the part number right off hand, though.

4. Aug 2, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    09taco4x4

09taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Valant cold air intake kit Borla catback exhaust 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Walker Evans 2.5's w/ TSB spring and add-a-leaf Light racing upper a-arms 285/70/R17 Dynapro ATM tires 17x9 XD wheels
    Here's some pics, the left pic is the DS and the right is the PS:

IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg

5. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    dwgullett

dwgullett Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Kenwood DDX 514, Blue Tooth, Sirius, Iphone Stand
    I just noticed mine today and stopped by the place I bought the 2009 truck and I am 200 miles over the warranty and they wont cover it. I called Toyota Cust Service and they said nope. So I have 2 questions. 1) any suggest how to deal with these R#($)#) and then 2) They want $700 to fix the issue so how hard do you think it is to replace them and does anyone have any part numbers >

6. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    They aren't that hard to replace. There's a thread somewhere on here for the BHLM that shows how they come out. If you aren't in a hurry to replace them I would just keep your eye on the for-sale section, I'm sure someone will sell theirs when they upgrade to Ebay projectors. Or you could go to the Ebay projectors too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Aug 5, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
  8. Aug 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    sook

sook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Watch the for sale forum, people sell their headlights often.

There is a GM bulb you can get from chevy dealers that is lower watts and a shorter bulb so it's less likely to melt.

Also, there are plenty of people Ike me that want the DTRL and didn't have them. See if you can find someone to switch relays with, it's not too difficult.

9. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

Member:
    NASCAR, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 BR DC TRD OR
    OME 885+Dakars, WeatherTech mats, EGR In Channel, PopNLock, Access LE, 3M tint and clear film paint protection, Sport grille, Amsoil, Zaino once in a while.
    Interesting that some melt and some don't.

Is it a certain manufacturer and/or date code of either the bulbs or the lenses that has this problem?

10. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine melted, so I disabled the drls and got new headlights

11. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Large Farva

Large Farva Does this look like spit to you?

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    Black Bully Step Bars, Black Bull Bar, Black tailight guards, Flowmaster Duals, K&N CAI, Redline Hoodstruts, EZ Down Tailgate assist, TRD Skid Plate, SOCK Monkey Decals, Metal Miller Front Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, Blu Logic Bluetooth, YAKIMA Bike Racks, Tinted Windows, RockyMount Bike Racks, TRD Gas Cap, Shorty Antenna, Homer Taco's Satoshi, Wet Oaklies, Baja Roof Cargo Rack Future: Spindle Lift w/ 285's
    My 09 did the same thing. Dealer replaced them under warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top