Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

better mpg's with tonneau cover

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
better mpg's with tonneau cover

Put a tonneua cover on about a month ago and I have noticed a difference of about 1-1.5 mpg's. It seems to make more of a difference in my highway driving than it does around town. Just thought I'd share for anyone considering it. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
1mpg isnt really enough to pay for it over the lifetime of thevehicle
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
ee1284 is on a distinguished road
ee1284's Tacoma Gallery
I recently took mine off. It came with the truck. Haven't noticed much of a difference in mpg's.

I'm gonna leave it off for another tank or 2 and compare it with my other fuel up's on fuelly.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't notice any difference.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off, didn't notice a difference with out it.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't notice a difference when I put mine on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Got mine for free and I pull 24-25mpg highway with my lift and bigger tires.
Sorry but I don't buy it.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
BmanDad is on a distinguished road
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Mythbusters tested this, and other bed modifications (tailgate down, tailgate net, tonneau cover, etc.)... results in a nutshell: no difference in MPG for any bed mod they tested.

Here's a link (I know, its a dakotaforum, but the guy summarizes it well and provides a video link).

http://www.customdakotas.com/forums/...pg-impact.html
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I own a cover but its off right now. Never looked to see if I saved any gas with it on. Didnt Myth Busters have a show on tonneau covers and said they use more gas with them on? Dont quote me but someone just told me that.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't notice a difference with my tonneau when I had it. For what it's worth, my mpg normally varies about 1 to 1.5 mpg between fillups.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Dodge Ram and after adding an Undercover hard tonneau I actually lost about 1/2 mpg. I know for a fact since the truck was equipped with the overhead compass/computer and I regularly got 15 mpgs before the cover and dropped to 14.5 after.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
the619truck is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
the619truck's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't notice any difference. I have a soft... not sure about hard tops though?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
TruckXL is on a distinguished road
TruckXL's Tacoma Gallery
I was also searching for information about saving MPG's with a tonneau, ran across this site in my google search, they say that tonneaus indeed do help slightly with MPG savings.

eTonneauCovers.com - Do Tonneau Covers Save Gas Mileage??
Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckXL View Post
I was also searching for information about saving MPG's with a tonneau, ran across this site in my google search, they say that tonneaus indeed do help slightly with MPG savings.

eTonneauCovers.com - Do Tonneau Covers Save Gas Mileage??
Anyone selling a product will publish results making the product look good.

Someone selling Tonneau covers isn't going to say they don't change the MPG at all.

Tonneau's do provide some security, but the MPG benefit if there is one, would take years to pay for itself in fuel savings.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #15
TruckXL is on a distinguished road
TruckXL's Tacoma Gallery
I also found this really interesting article, which I believe was part of that SEMA study. I know what you mean, if there is any difference its very little, but its still interesting. Seems like no matter how much data people put out there to prove one way or another, this topic never seems to die..haha!

Do Tonneau Covers Really Improve Gas
Mileage?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Bloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bloom's Tacoma Gallery
^Good find!^ Thanks for posting it. It should help me win a 'tailgate down vs tailgate up' bet I have with my brother in law.

I wonder what the "New Cap Design" looks like. A 30% reduction in Cd sounds almost too good to be true.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #17
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom View Post
^Good find!^ Thanks for posting it. It should help me win a 'tailgate down vs tailgate up' bet I have with my brother in law.

I wonder what the "New Cap Design" looks like. A 30% reduction in Cd sounds almost too good to be true.
You can find just as many other "studies" that show the opposite, or no gain. The last sentence in that is what seals the deal.

"Also, it is important to remember that drag depends on the size and shape of the vehicle, and therefore a Chevrolet, a Dodge, and a Ford pickup with the same cap might have different drag coefficients because of different design features."

Also, a $1500 tonneau cover would need to be on the truck for 134,000 miles to pay for itself. That assumes 21 gallons of gas with a 1MPG increase with the tonneau. Used $3.75 for the gas price. The mileage goes up if the price of gas goes down .. etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Bloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bloom's Tacoma Gallery
I put on an Access LE cover before I had gone through the first tank of gas, so all my mileage is with it on. I like the cover for other reasons, but I can't say mpg is one of them.

I'm not changing my driving habits, interstate speed, etc. and so far, my mpg is about in the middle of what the window sticker says. And that's with close to 700 miles of interstate driving, more or less all downhill from NC to Florida.

The truck only has 2100 miles on it and some have told me the mpg will improve a bit. We'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's a truck and I don't see how you and others here are getting 20 mpg or better with the 4.0.

I figure I'm lucky to get close to what the window sticker says. The old truck got around 16 mpg on a cool day going downhill with a tail wind, so I'm happy with the new one!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
42noTaco is on a distinguished road

42noTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Used to have an s10 4.3 liter. After a tonneau cover I noticed the gas mileage increased slightly, but everyones right, it'd be a long time for it to pay itself back. If you add the other benifits of a cover though, like providing a cover for items in the bed, it kinda makes up for the cost.