Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I want to convert access cab to 5 seats.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
I want to convert access cab to 5 seats.

Has anyone converted the back two seats to three? It seems that you would just have to unsrew the plastic holders and place a center seatbelt under the pre-existing seatbelts. I know... not enough space for adults but if your a youth basketball coach and you need that extra seat, it could come in handy. Ay thoughts???
Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tacoplease View Post
Has anyone converted the back two seats to three? It seems that you would just have to unsrew the plastic holders and place a center seatbelt under the pre-existing seatbelts. I know... not enough space for adults but if your a youth basketball coach and you need that extra seat, it could come in handy. Ay thoughts???
Your truck isn't DOT approved for 3 in the back. If you got pulled over, or worse an accident, you would be liable.

In other words... IMO bad idea.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Your truck isn't DOT approved for 3 in the back. If you got pulled over, or worse an accident, you would be liable.

Thats what I'm thinking. I'm betting your state laws would be more lenient in terms of having folks ride in the bed of the truck versus a makeshift seat in the access cab, funny enough. You'd have to research that.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Seriously? The truck is also not "approved" for bigger tires, lift, billies, plasti dip, etc. etc. etc. No offense, but anyone on an enthusiast forum who hits back with "not approved" makes me wonder....
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
ruseter08 is on a distinguished road
ruseter08's Tacoma Gallery
not sure if it would be possible, but what about changing your bucket seats up front for a bench? I am sure lots of reg cab folks would be happy to trade
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
magixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagixfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

magixfinger's Tacoma Gallery
it's your truck, do whatever you want to do with it, most cops or state trooper don't know if the seat in the the back are for 2 or 3 people, plus you can always BS such as it comes like that when you bought it, I'm pretty sure all of us are pretty creative when it come to lying and makin up stuffs
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Seriously? The truck is also not "approved" for bigger tires, lift, billies, plasti dip, etc. etc. etc. No offense, but anyone on an enthusiast forum who hits back with "not approved" makes me wonder....
Like magix said, it's his truck he can do what he wants. I probably wouldn't have written that if he hadn't said that he was a kids basketball coach. Something about a 8-10 year old being ejected through the windshield when he rear ends someone because his "make-shift" 3rd seatbelt didn't hold up just sounds very unappealing.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magixfinger View Post
it's your truck, do whatever you want to do with it, most cops or state trooper don't know if the seat in the the back are for 2 or 3 people, plus you can always BS such as it comes like that when you bought it, I'm pretty sure all of us are pretty creative when it come to lying and makin up stuffs
Tickets wouldn't be the worry here, it would be potentially unlimited liability in the event someone is sitting there and is injured.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I wouldn't risk the kids. Not saying that you are a bad driver, you just don't know what people are thinking when they are driving and for me, I've gotta have those kids protected as best I can.

My husband is a coach and there is no way that we would do that. That's what our SUV is for. Yes, we bought the SUV to haul the team kids in. Their lives are precious.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X 1000.

don't even think about it for those reasons alone.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Racing seat + five point harness.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Racing seat + five point harness.
*Never* run harnesses without a rollcage. The last thing you want to happen is to be pinned upright in a rollover with the roof caving it. Very bad things.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
I wouldn't risk the kids. Not saying that you are a bad driver, you just don't know what people are thinking when they are driving and for me, I've gotta have those kids protected as best I can.

My husband is a coach and there is no way that we would do that. That's what our SUV is for. Yes, we bought the SUV to haul the team kids in. Their lives are precious.
To go a step further, I sure as hell don't want anyone putting my son or daughter in some kind of homebrew, makeshift seat in a vehicle that isn't designed from a safety standpoint to have someone sitting there. You can bet that if they did this and my kid was hurt they would be sued into oblivion.

May I suggest a 4Runner, Sienna or similar if hauling around a basketball team is a concern?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
*Never* run harnesses without a rollcage. The last thing you want to happen is to be pinned upright in a rollover with the roof caving it. Very bad things.
Great advice and makes perfect sense,

But i wasn't serious
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll sell you the center seatbelt from my standard cab if you want to try.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Great advice and makes perfect sense,

But i wasn't serious
Honestly, it's the route that I'd recommend. I'd just throw in a cage along with everything else.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I took out my headrests in the rear. If I was in an accident with a rear passenger with injuries, I bet they would go after me in a heartbeat! However, I do not carry passengers in the rear. For those who have done or plan to do this mod, this is something to think about.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Honestly, it's the route that I'd recommend. I'd just throw in a cage along with everything else.
well with a cage of course!
but that may take up some room...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
I took out my headrests in the rear. If I was in an accident with a rear passenger with injuries, I bet they would go after me in a heartbeat! However, I do not carry passengers in the rear. For those who have done or plan to do this mod, this is something to think about.
do you keep them handy in case of passengers?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I'll sell you the center seatbelt from my standard cab if you want to try.
Item: Standard cab center seatbelt for bench seats.
Condition: Was installed, never used, 10/10.
Cost: $20+shipping.

The belt buckles are from bucket seats which have a smaller buckle. Should be able to get a cheap one from a junk yard.

The center seatbelt mounts to the floor and is a self contained unit with a trim piece. Let me know.