Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

0w-20 oil

Old 08-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
0w-20 oil

According to Toyota owner web site they are recommending 0w-20 synthetic motor oil with 5,000 mile intervals. This is suppose to inrease MPG's. FWIW
Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It does nothing for MPG, since 5w20 and 0w20 are the same viscosity at normal operating temp. It does provide lower viscosity on startup. That's the reason for the change.
The "0w" is for the cold viscosity, "20" is for normal op temp.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
It does nothing for MPG, since 5w20 and 0w20 are the same viscosity at normal operating temp. It does provide lower viscosity on startup. That's the reason for the change.
The "0w" is for the cold viscosity, "20" is for normal op temp.
well i do a lot of really short trips, so that's probably why i've seen some difference.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
mwtaco has a spectacular aura aboutmwtaco has a spectacular aura about
mwtaco's Tacoma Gallery
rec for all toyota tao model years? got the link?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
well i do a lot of really short trips, so that's probably why i've seen some difference.
No long trips in Hawaii???? ORLY?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
No long trips in Hawaii???? ORLY?
lol well actually im pretty lucky. most people have to deal with the insane traffic. the distances are short but during traffic it'll take like an hour and a half to go to some of the suburbs that are like only 20 miles away haha
Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Mobil 1 also makes a 0W-10.... i would have bought it if my truck weren't 10 years old and had the same oil for 140k miles.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I have tried this in my wife's Camry (it says the same in the manual), I can't say there is any noticeable difference.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
could have sworn we're recommended to run 5w-30.....
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandigirolamo View Post
could have sworn we're recommended to run 5w-30.....
I think your right. It even says that on the oil cap
Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure the use of the thinner (operating temp numbers) is to try and eake out all of the MPG's they can from the factory due to meeting tighter and tighter mileage requirements. I use Rotella T6 5w-40, and it has been a great oil. I have read some research items that showed the thinner oils have performed "as well as" thicker oils, but I still feel that having a thicker oil (when running not when cold) will protect a bit more. There really is no way to tell if it is working the way it should outside of sending the oil out to a lab for testing. I would say that you are not hurting anything but I still think thicker oil will protect better. But thats just me...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
I am pretty sure the use of the thinner (operating temp numbers) is to try and eake out all of the MPG's they can from the factory due to meeting tighter and tighter mileage requirements. I use Rotella T6 5w-40, and it has been a great oil. I have read some research items that showed the thinner oils have performed "as well as" thicker oils, but I still feel that having a thicker oil (when running not when cold) will protect a bit more. There really is no way to tell if it is working the way it should outside of sending the oil out to a lab for testing. I would say that you are not hurting anything but I still think thicker oil will protect better. But thats just me...
x2
Old 08-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Synthetic Motor Oil

Get Outstanding Performance with Genuine Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil. To find out more, visit the Synthetic Motor Oil page.
  • More Engine Protection
  • More Miles Per Gallon
  • More Stability Under a Wide Range of Temperature Conditions
  • More Miles Between Oil Changes (for most vehicles)

Find out if your Toyota requires Synthetic Oil.
Applies only to Toyota models within this pulldown list.
Other Toyota models do not require synthetic oil

Please select a model
Select a model 2010 4Runner (4 Cylinders) 2010 4Runner (6 Cylinders) 2010 Camry 2010 FJ Cruiser 2010 Prius 2010 Sequoia 2010 Tundra (8 Cylinders) 2011 4Runner (4 Cylinders) 2011 4Runner (6 Cylinders) 2011 Camry 2011 Corolla 2011 FJ Cruiser 2011 Highlander 2011 Highlander Hybrid 2011 Matrix 2011 Prius 2011 Sequoia 2011 Sienna 2011 Tacoma 2011 Tundra

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl only.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Maybe I missed something but it does not mention exclusivity to 4cyl. It seems to apply to both 4 and 6cyl.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
Maybe I missed something but it does not mention exclusivity to 4cyl. It seems to apply to both 4 and 6cyl.
Depends on what Toyota official source you're looking at. Or you could email them a question, and get another answer.

When the TSB notification came out, discussion with the dealer was confusing, so I called Toyota and asked if I could switch to the thinner synth oil and move to a 10k mile change interval. The answer was no, my v6 Tacoma still requires 5w30 and a 5k mile change interval, whether it is synthetic or not.

2011 is the same engine, no known changes internally, so I would assume the answer still applies.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the exact page from Toyota's own site. Not even considering all the other discourse on this topic, they really confuse me - the oil cap saying 5W-30, but the site saying 0W-20...

Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Companies make decision changes all the time. I like how folks refer back to the manual all the time and say that is what to go by even when the manufacture says to change. I think if you are under warranty both would be covered since both are mentioned in some documentation that Toyota provides. You could print out the website and put in your manual if you want to use the 0w-30.