LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

To mud flap or not?

View Poll Results: Mud flaps on or off ???
On 22 36.67%
Off 27 45.00%
Dosen't matter, it's a Tacoma! 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
To mud flap or not?

I think it might look better without them......what do you guys think?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Rears only
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Rears only

X2. I'm thinking about taking my fronts off. I have running boards to help with rocks. Buddy of mine said the flaps make it look like a grandpa ride lol
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
pinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nice
pinchetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch em all they do is bend back while your driving... And break on the trail
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Trim your mud flaps up so they aren't draggin on the ground, but leave em on, they help and look better. It looks really good off too, but whatever you do, make sure it is all on or all off. I don't like the look of half on half off, it looks like your truck is falling apart.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
nvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to all

Navy: Petty Officer First Class
Name: Matt
nvrenuf's Tacoma Gallery
If they weren't so effin long, I may have kept them. They do what they're supposed to do (keep debris from destroying your quarter panels), but they truck looks so much better without them.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
I still have them on at 6" and 35's
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
If they weren't so effin long, I may have kept them. They do what they're supposed to do (keep debris from destroying your quarter panels), but they truck looks so much better without them.
Trim them up, the original 05's are much shorter than later years, but they could even use to be shorter than that.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
I had trimmed flaps on mine, and the bottom sides of my truck, and the rear fenders, look like they were hit with a sandblaster. If you don't care about the paint then take em' off!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Keep them on but trim the front a good 4" unless you never leave the pavement.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Flyfisher22 will become famous soon enough
Name: Cameron
Flyfisher22's Tacoma Gallery
I would vote for on but trimmed if it were an option, took 5 inches off the front and 1 inch off the rear of mine.

Cam
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
I think they look better off. It's your choice. But I will say that if you are planning on taking them off, the sooner the better. Because if you wait a year or so before you take them off, they are going to rub the paint underneath them off. Since yours is still pretty much new, I would take them off asap to avoid that.

And I've had mine off for over a year now and there are no chips or damage to my paint. I just sling up a little more junk on the side of my truck when it's rainy.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
agree with everyone else about the trimming. They look much better shorter
Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the easy way and took the fronts off, think it looks WAY better.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaDawg View Post
I just did the easy way and too the fronts off, think it looks WAY better.
How's the paint on the bottom of the doors ?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
x2 it looks better but the paint suffers. i lost one wheeling about six months ago and didnt think anything of it, then one day i washed the truck and boom i had all kinds of chips and scratches on that side of the truck. so i took them all off to even out the scratches
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you're mostly on pavement leave em on, if you go off road, give them a trim
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
i took off my brothers front bec they hit on everything. it looks pretty cool
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Its fine, I don't think I've got any actually (knock on wood). Only thing is like said above, if you go through some mud or water it'll throw a bit more on the sides. Also I've got some of that 3M protectant stuff right where the side gets hit. But I'm not 4wd so I don't have to deal with stuff getting kicked up from wheelspin.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I trimmed my fronts 3 1/2 inches to match the rear. Sorry I don't have pics. It was really simple to do.

mud flap modification
To begin with I have no pictures. Mud flaps hang too low and scrape against most anything. Described below is how I modified them:

1. placed paper against interior (closest to tire) of the flap
2. paper will hang down after securing it with tape
3. Moved to outside of flap and used a marker to trace the bottom curved portion of the flap onto the paper.
4. removed the paper from the inside of the flap and cut the curved pattern I traced on the paper. You now have a sheet of paper that is approx. same size and width of flap along with the same shape (curve) of the bottom of flap
5. Place the paper on the outside of the flap and raise it however much you want to remove of the flap. I measured 3" from the bottom of the flap up.
6.with the paper taped to the flap, mark the flap with a marker using the paper as a guide. You'll end up with a nice curved line 3" above the bottom of the flap that exactly matches the curved portion of each flap
7. I used a dremel with a cutoff disc to follow the marked line on the flap
8. 3" of flap was removed and the flap still maintained the original curve at the bottom
9. remove excess pieces of rubber from the flap with fingers/file
10. I placed my truck on ramps to make access easier

I used a hacksaw since that was the best thing I had to use. Mine came out great, a lot better than I thought they would. The only way you can tell is if you get down there to look at them mainly since it cuts off the lip at the bottom on the inside.