1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Debadging Fade?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbp68, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 [OP] hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    So i'm thinking about removing the TRD Off Road decals from by Super White bed. Never was a fan. I'm a little worried that once I take them off, it'll leave a a shadow (paint fade) where the decal was. Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions for removal? I plan to let it get nice and hot in the summer sun then try and peel them off using finger nails and then wipe residue off with Goo Gone. I'm undecided as to whether to plasti dip or remove completely the door and tailgate badges as well.

2. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    Taco Man in HD

Taco Man in HD DC TRD MallRunner

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC Tacoma PreRunner
    Methods, Red Labels, and other bro stuff.
    you can tell a difference at the right angle on my silver tacoma, but straight on, you can never tell

3. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i took mine off.and the driver side you can see where the decal was,but on the passenger side you can't,ive waxed it twice and its still noticable
    not sure what can be done,my truck is silver

4. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I removed my chrome badges when the truck was about a year and a half old and had no fading. It is not garaged either so it always has sun exposure. I left my stickers on so I can't speak for them but I'm sure they wouldn't fade any worse.

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    I just fully debadged my 07 TRD Sport in rad red and there's no fade whatsoever. I always kind of wanted to, but was worried about fade too, especially since bright red seems so prone to it. I was doing a cut polish and wax and when I rubbed over the TRD decals it immediately took off all the color. It was in the shade and a little cool so I used a hairdryer and fingernails to take it all off. Some goo gone, mother's prewax cleaner, a buff with fine cut polish and wax and you'd never know.

Spurred on by those good results I used some heat, fishing line and then fingernails and cleaner and polish to do the door and tailgate badging with the same excellent result.

I got it cleaned up to the point where it looked good but there was the slightest outline of the badges, the prewax cleaner took care of that, I think it was a ridge of built up wax around the decals and the foam tape on the other badges. It almost looked like fade but it came right off.

6. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
  7. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    It all depends on how old your truck is and how much time it spent in the sun. A new truck will most likely not have any shadows, but if it is several years old and always cooking in the sun, you probably will have some shadowing.

Also depends on how well you maintained your paint. IF you were good with washing and waxing, that will help alot.

Products Discussed in

To Top