Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau for 2nd Gen

Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau for 2nd Gen

Ok I was all ready to get a Truxedo Low Pro II Tonneau when I read in another thread that they too prevent use of the factory cleat / rail system?

I want a Tonneau, but I want full use of the cleat system when the cover is rolled up. What are my options?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Full tilt

I have an extang (brand of cover) Full tilt (model of cover) that enables mostly full use of the cleat system. Priced between $435 and $475. I paid $450 at my local truck center. (the extra money was worth it to me to deal with a place I trust) The cover mounts into the bed rails so there are like 4 3 inch sections of the rails that are not usable because that is where the cover is mounted, but other than that the cleats are still usable, even when the cover is on in so far as I still have the cleats locked in and use them to secure my tools box and cargo net with bungee cords. Can send pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

Later,
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Here's two more.

Access roll up (not its low profile or vanish) allows the use of the cleat system. It is more pricey than the one I bought, but its more like the truxedo you were looking at. Its made by agricover & you can google em. I have an Extang Trifecta & it lets me use my cleats, but its a tri-fold. It cost 309 from mechanics warehouse. I like it a lot.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Truxedo and love it's low profile look and it's ease of operation. However, as you mentioned, the factory cleats do not work in the bedside rails(rail behind cab is still functional). However,Toyota makes a mini cleat(see link below) which other members claim does fit in the bedside rails in conjunction with the Truxedo. I believe any cover that lays flat against the rails, as the Truxedo does, is going to create a problem for the cleats and the Toyota cargo divider. Personally, I don't use the cleats often, and enjoy the functions and looks of the Truxedo...so for me it was worth the trade-off.

http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/prod...82e084fea8baef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
Ok I was all ready to get a Truxedo Low Pro II Tonneau when I read in another thread that they too prevent use of the factory cleat / rail system?

I want a Tonneau, but I want full use of the cleat system when the cover is rolled up. What are my options?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Access roll up (not its low profile or vanish) allows the use of the cleat system. It is more pricey than the one I bought, but its more like the truxedo you were looking at. Its made by agricover & you can google em. I have an Extang Trifecta & it lets me use my cleats, but its a tri-fold. It cost 309 from mechanics warehouse. I like it a lot.
Ooooh... I really like that Trifecta. I wanted a folding one like that but thought they were out of my price range!

I'm looking into this one!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
confuzzed2 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Public Affairs
confuzzed2's Tacoma Gallery
You can get an Access Limited for $365. I just ordered mine on Monday and am anxiously awaiting the arrival. On TN or CT there is a thread about 30 pages long with a lot of info and pics on the Access covers. By the time I made it through all the pages I was convinced. PBtaco had several posts in the thread he might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #7

Well now I'm torn over a roll up such as the Truxedo Classic or the Access Limited, or a fold up like the Extang Trifecta or Lund Genesis.

Do you have the link to the other thread?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
confuzzed2 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Public Affairs
confuzzed2's Tacoma Gallery
I can't access this at work, but I think this is the thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t118926.html
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #9

Haha yeah I found it a couple of hours ago... I'm on page 18 hehe.

Not turning out to be a very productive day work wise!