Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget

Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
wvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
wvtac0's Tacoma Gallery
Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget

I needed an inexpensive way to have more tie down options with the bed rail system on the Tacos. The dealer selections were not in my budget. Here is what I came up with:

Parts List:

J bolt – 3/8” x 3-3/4” with nut

Flat Nylon Washer – 1-1/4”x 1/2” x 1/16”

Steel Washer – 1-1/4” x 1/2”

Spring Nut – 3/8”

Through trial and error, I cut the J bolts down so that I had about 1-1/8” of thread. (At this length, the thread was not touching the back of the bed rail. I probably could go another 1/8” to 1/4" longer with the thread without hitting the back of the rail.)

After I cut the J bolt down, I put the nut back as far as it would go. Next was the steel and then the nylon washer. I found 3/8” spring nuts at Lowes in the electrical department. The spring was just pressed on and will pull right off.

Next step is to install the assembly into the bed rail system. I have a total of 5 hooks installed on my Taco. One on the front rail and two on each side.

Besides my time, I probably have about $2 in each hook assembly.

I recently used some of the hooks on a 3K trip with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-rail-attachment-hook-parts.jpg   Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-hook-length.jpg   Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-spring-nut-package.jpg   Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-spring-nut.jpg   Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-hook-assembly.jpg  

Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-hook-assembly-showing-washers.jpg   Additional Bed Rail Tie Downs on a Budget-hook-assembly-installed.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
fortyniner is on a distinguished road
fortyniner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work, those factory ones a $45.00 a pop are a bit pricey.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
You didnt hear it from me, you could go to a toyota dealership at night, tiedowns are usually ripe for the picking.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up man.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin View Post
You didnt hear it from me, you could go to a toyota dealership at night, tiedowns are usually ripe for the picking.

I don't condone this at all, but the wording had me in stitches.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
what are these spring nuts used for? Electrical dept? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
great idea!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
HAA! I always thought that.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
more than one's a class B misdemeanor...
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
787tester is on a distinguished road
Navy: EM
Name: Steve
787tester's Tacoma Gallery
The spring nuts are used in unistrut applications.
The tie downs when I bought my truck were in a bag in the back seat. I haven't seen any installed on the trucks at the dealer. Probably because they are too quickly removed by cheap thieving idiots.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

don't do that maan. how would you like if somebody took yours off. i had some low life MF who stole mine. and besides if you went to a dealership, they probably have cameras looking right at u.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
^ ninja outfit fixes that cameras dont see ninjas
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
jimmyb10 is on a distinguished road
jimmyb10's Tacoma Gallery
Budget tie-downs

J hooks are a great idea, but I plan to use eye-bolts with your design.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
wvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
wvtac0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb10 View Post
J hooks are a great idea, but I plan to use eye-bolts with your design.
Let me know how it works out. I thought of eye bolts but felt the j bolts would be more useful.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
jimmyb10 is on a distinguished road
jimmyb10's Tacoma Gallery
I used the J hook design details, but used eye bolts. OK, I also did a couple of J hooks too. Both work very good. Thanks to wvtac0 for sharing this great idea.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #19
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea OP, think I might do this. +1