Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 low wont disengage

Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
shaneh39 is on a distinguished road
shaneh39's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 low wont disengage

I did a little 4x4 ing today. My clutch got a a little hot saw some smoke and could smell it. When I went to disengage 4x4 low the buzzer went off. I tried driving forward and reverse and ended up having to drive home in 6th gear at 30mph. Disconnected the battery for 2 hours and restarted in 2h with no results.

It is a 2007 access cab manual 6 speed with 55k miles. Any suggestions before I pay a mechanic?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You have used it other times before this one time right?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
I have used 4 low on 2 previous occasions but it was just a few feet and really nothing serious and yes I drove home about 10 miles like this in 6th gear
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well clutch in, brake in and 3mph or less then select 4wd hi.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Thanks, had to push clutch fully in.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneh39 View Post
Um do you regularly shift without fully depressing the clutch?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had the same problem. Ended up going to the dealership jsut for htem to let me know how retarded I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Um do you regularly shift without fully depressing the clutch?
You only HAVE to push the clutch down about 1/2 - 3/4 way for it to disengage to shift, you need to push it to the floor to disengage 4Lo.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
You really should be pushing the clutch all the way in regardless.

Edit: The bold speaks for itself.

Quote:
I did a little 4x4 ing today. My clutch got a a little hot saw some smoke and could smell it. When I went to disengage 4x4 low the buzzer went off. I tried driving forward and reverse and ended up having to drive home in 6th gear at 30mph. Disconnected the battery for 2 hours and restarted in 2h with no results.

It is a 2007 access cab manual 6 speed with 55k miles. Any suggestions before I pay a mechanic?
Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
Banned
My Ranger was a manual so when I wheeled I would mostly be in 4wd low to avoid burning up the clutch. I only used 4wd high in snow and mud.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostingMS6 View Post
You really should be pushing the clutch all the way in regardless.

Edit: The bold speaks for itself.
2 different issues.
1. x-case wont let you change out of 4lo w/o fully depressing the clutch pedal.
2. the point where the clutch disengages within the transmission is not with full clutch pedal depression, theres a decent amount of play.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
lazy ppl, press ur clutch all the way in
Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
You only HAVE to push the clutch down about 1/2 - 3/4 way for it to disengage to shift
I was always under the impression this is the best way to burn up your clutch and cause excessive wear?
When driving a manual I only shift with it fully depressed...
Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Umm, call me the stupid one here, but how in the hell are you needing to use the clutch enough to smoke it if you're in 4LO.... I mean, you must be riding that damn thing. Sounds like you need to learn some things about driving a clutch IMO....THEN worry about 4 wheelin.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #15
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
I was always under the impression this is the best way to burn up your clutch and cause excessive wear?
Not true. I'm not an expert on how things work, but it keeps the gears turning enough to aid in a smoother shift. I drove a lot of large trucks and you will never get anywhere putting the clutch to the floor because the gears won't line up. Clutches will naturally build some heat. Riding the clutch is a different story, and sounds like what he did.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #16
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its only going to hurt your clutch if you are not past the engagement point. Most clutch pedals have a good bit of dead travel at the end. If you have pushed the pedal down enough to fully seperate the clutch plate from the flywheel, it doesn't matter if it was to the floor or not. That having been said, when I had my 6 speed manual BMW 330i, I always pushed the clutch all the way to the floor because it had a moving engagement point due to some wierd design, so you never knew that point exactly.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Eman5pt0 has a spectacular aura aboutEman5pt0 has a spectacular aura about
Name: E
Eman5pt0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTacoZack View Post
Its only going to hurt your clutch if you are not past the engagement point. Most clutch pedals have a good bit of dead travel at the end. If you have pushed the pedal down enough to fully seperate the clutch plate from the flywheel, it doesn't matter if it was to the floor or not. That having been said, when I had my 6 speed manual BMW 330i, I always pushed the clutch all the way to the floor because it had a moving engagement point due to some wierd design, so you never knew that point exactly.