Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

wtf is going on

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
wtf is going on

Ive got a prerunner DCLB 2006 and i got stuck as shit in the sand the other day, to my knowledge i dont have an LSD and i know for a fact i dont have an elocker, its not TRD Sport, just SR5. My left tire (the one that spins) was so stuck it couldnt rotate when i hit the accelerator, but i looked in my right side mirror and was watching sand fly out from the right tire, i had it shifted in 4-D when that happened. do i have an LSD or what?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If the rear axle doesnt have an "LSD oil only" sticker, then you dont have an LS Diff.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
No, you don't have an LSD. In fact, if you did have a true LSD, it would actually help some with this. The non TRD Offroad models come with an open differential. This means power will basically always being going to the side that spins more easily. So, in effect, your truck is one wheel drive. A true LSD would allow both sides to spin based on which one has more traction. The newer Tacoma's (I think 09 and up) like mine do have a simulated LSD, where you can turn off the traction control and it has ALSD, which is a computer driven LSD which breaks one side of your truck to allow the other side to spin even with the open diff.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTacoZack View Post
No, you don't have an LSD. In fact, if you did have a true LSD, it would actually help some with this. The non TRD Offroad models come with an open differential. This means power will basically always being going to the side that spins more easily. So, in effect, your truck is one wheel drive. A true LSD would allow both sides to spin based on which one has more traction. The newer Tacoma's (I think 09 and up) like mine do have a simulated LSD, where you can turn off the traction control and it has ALSD, which is a computer driven LSD which breaks one side of your truck to allow the other side to spin even with the open diff.
Some non TRD trucks were in fact equiped with an LS diff. Only way to tel is by checking the rear diff for a sticker like the one in this pic

Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Some non TRD trucks were in fact equiped with an LS diff. Only way to tel is by checking the rear diff for a sticker like the one in this pic

Interesting. Was this only on the pre-traction control era trucks? I'm gonna go out and check my dad's 2008 truck now.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Interesting. Was this only on the pre-traction control era trucks? I'm gonna go out and check my dad's 2008 truck now.
Yes. When the "Auto LSD" came out, the mechanical LS diff was no longer used.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Beat me to it.
I have an 06 Non-TRD with an LSD.

of course my sticker got painted over when I was touching up my frame rust last year
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Check the sticker like they said. Also, just as a word from experience for you. if were to add a locker in the future it doesn't help in the sand at least my e-locker doesn't in the soft sand of the outer banks. Did you air down?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Beat me to it.
I have an 06 Non-TRD with an LSD.

of course my sticker got painted over when I was touching up my frame rust last year
You could remove the paint from the stick, I belive.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Nope, his doesn't have the sticker. I've always found it odd his truck came with a TRD off road sticker, yet his Prerunner has no locker, and does not have the Billsteins. He got it CPO with 40k miles on it, I'm thinking the dealer added the sticker as BS to sell the truck?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Nope, his doesn't have the sticker. I've always found it odd his truck came with a TRD off road sticker, yet his Prerunner has no locker, and does not have the Billsteins. He got it CPO with 40k miles on it, I'm thinking the dealer added the sticker as BS to sell the truck?
Probably. Does he have the AC inverter?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Quote:
Probably. Does he have the AC inverter?
Nope
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
^^

Your's and Chris's trucks are the only two with the retro stripes that looks really good .. it must be the silver. I'n generally not a fan of added, after market, decals/stickers etc.

Looks great tho on your guys trucks, wow.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
yotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: RN
Name: Ryan
yotaman3130's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope
I've seen trucks with the trd stickers added and them advertised as trd. I spoke with a salesman at a local dealer when I was buying my truck about a used truck with a trd sticker yet it had no trd options. Luckily I knew tacomas better than the dealer hoped I would. Some poor soul bought it thinking he had trd. It didn't even have the upgraded seats
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
mine has no sticker... and it deff is lsd
Is that because it's a sport? I thought pre 09 the TRD OR and Sport both came with a LSD? Only the SR5's didn't, potentially?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
^^

Your's and Chris's trucks are the only two with the retro stripes that looks really good .. it must be the silver. I'n generally not a fan of added, after market, decals/stickers etc.

Looks great tho on your guys trucks, wow.
Thanks man. Chris4x4's truck definitely is what convinced me to do them on mine.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nah i didnt air down i just tried it just to see, it was on a river bank, my truck is completely caked in mud right now so ill check to see if i have the sticker once i get it clean, thanks so much for all the input guys!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #20
Go Pro Junkie

just scraped the mud off the rear diff and i do have the LSD oil only sticker, great success!