LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what should i paint my sliders with?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
so spray on bed liner is easy to touch up?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
so spray on bed liner is easy to touch up?
This stuff is http://www.harborfreight.com/rustole...f-6-68712.html
Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, im using the rustoleum, cheap and easy.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Yeah, im using the rustoleum, cheap and easy.
All of my armor is painted with it and my bushwhackers my Bud built skids are getting shot with it tonight.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
huh? why do you say that?

most people i checked with and this thread seemed to think paint was the best option. what wrong with what i chose?
Don't bother with the prep. Just paint them and get on with your life. Prime and paint if you *really* want to go whole hog.

You're going to rip hole after hole in that prep, and there's not going to be any way to re-prep when you touch up. Just wipe down with water, dry it, and paint it. That's all you're gonna be doing on touch up anyway.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #26
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Don't bother with the prep. Just paint them and get on with your life. Prime and paint if you *really* want to go whole hog.

You're going to rip hole after hole in that prep, and there's not going to be any way to re-prep when you touch up. Just wipe down with water, dry it, and paint it. That's all you're gonna be doing on touch up anyway.
ok gotcha, that makes sense. think im going to get the rustoleum spray on bedliner instead though now.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok gotcha, that makes sense. think im going to get the rustoleum spray on bedliner instead though now.
Whatever you want to use. The point is, easy to fix is more important than the rest of it.

Just make sure whoever welds 'em on does a kickass job. And don't paint the frame plates until after welding
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
being a NYer and from the salt belt myself, id say prime and paint the first shot and around the mounts to seal it up.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Surprised no one has suggested Plasti-dip yet

jk
plasti dip users and slider users are two totally different types
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #31
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
X1,000,000
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone. Love when TW answers my questions without even having to search. I painted my sliders and one trip to Utah about killed that paint job in a hurry. I was just about to search to see what people are suggesting other than straight spray paint. The rock chips alone from gravel roads did a seriouse number on them, let alone actually sliding them on rocks on the trail.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #33
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

false, im a plasti-dip user. my rear bumper, front lower valance, badges, and wheels are plasti-dipped. they have been for about a year now and survived a harsh winter, several wheeling trips and numerous washes and about 18k miles. they are still holding up great.

THE SLIDERS WILL NOT BE PLASTI-DIPPED. that stuff has some uses its good for (what i did with it) and some not so good uses (sliders, tol boxes, interiors, etc.)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
also, how many cans will i need? one per slider (2 total) or more?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #35
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #36
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't paint them black... Paint the sliders a different color... everyone paints their sliders black..
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #37

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i used 1.5 per side of the walmart truckbed liner spray.

Once you paint it i suggest using the rubberized undercoating on the inside or outside of the frame or POR15 or chassis saver. If you have the sliders welded on, make sure you paint the inside of the frame
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #38
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i used 1.5 per side of the walmart truckbed liner spray.

Once you paint it i suggest using the rubberized undercoating on the inside or outside of the frame or POR15 or chassis saver. If you have the sliders welded on, make sure you paint the inside of the frame
they are bolt ons, but i plan to install to drill the holes, take them off and paint the holes with anti-rust paint, then re-install the sliders.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #39

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
im just assuming you are in ny because of the hudson valley and ass ugly license plate
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
Captarm is on a distinguished road

Name: Armand
Captarm's Tacoma Gallery
I used Hammerite on mine and they came out great. I sandblasted the sliders and sprayed on about 6 coats of thined out paint, Hammerite Harden super hard, almost like a power coat. The nice thing about the product it comes in a spray can for quick touchup in the field.