Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Slim" tool chest?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
"Slim" tool chest?

I've been doing some searching and have only found UWS slim tool boxes. The problem is they go over the rails. That really won't work for me because i plan on purchasing a topper soon. It seems most tool boxes are approx. 18" wide (deep) and since i have a short box i'd prefer not to take up that much space, especially since i carry two Goldens in the back.

So before i build a custom one myself, does anyone know where i could find a slim tool chest? Preferably around 12" in depth...
Old 08-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much all of the slim boxes are going to go over the rails a bit, if you are talking about how they sit pretty much on the bedside caps. I have a Kobalt slim lo pro and thats how it mounts. There is another member on here, however, that just got a regular toolbox which he chained down in the front of his bed. Or do something like this:

http://www.toolboxes4less.com/wheel-...-tool-box.html
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Those side boxes are an interesting idea and not to bad of a price too (on sale for $165). But i'm concerned that it may not be enough storage space as a chest at the front of the bed. Even with two of the side boxes and not to mention that i lose that precious width at the end of the box for the two dogs.... Good idea and something to consider. Also, two of those side boxes would total $330 plus taxes and shipping. That's getting expensive, especially if i could build one (out of wood mind you) for a fraction of the price.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #4

Anybody else know about slim tool chests available on the market?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Slim Tool Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
I've been doing some searching and have only found UWS slim tool boxes. The problem is they go over the rails. That really won't work for me because i plan on purchasing a topper soon. It seems most tool boxes are approx. 18" wide (deep) and since i have a short box i'd prefer not to take up that much space, especially since i carry two Goldens in the back.

So before i build a custom one myself, does anyone know where i could find a slim tool chest? Preferably around 12" in depth...
I too have the same problem with a cap and a dog crate tool box issue. What I have been looking at is a Model M207 from Dee Zee it is 35" X 12" X 12" comes in black or brite polish alum diamond plate. I have researched Alot of tool chests most are 18 to 20 inches wide, you will have to fabricate a mount system though as it is just a chest no mounts etc. Moreover, this chest is not designed as a truck tool box which have the top offset approx 1" an so you can put it flat against the forward wall of the bed to preclude obstruction of the lid while opening. Therfore, you might have to space it off the forward wall an inch to facilitate operation of the lid.

Here is one Link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DZZ-M207/

Cypher
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the link Cypher. Good idea using an ATV type tool box. Just about fits my application perfectly, expect for one thing. It's only 12" tall. I was really hoping to find a box that is 16" tall (right below the cleat rail). Maybe i'm getting a little to picky but that extra space sure does help. I've searched a few more sites and i still haven't found anything, looks like i may have to build one myself. A nice aluminum tool box would have been great but if nobody knows where i can find one, i guess i'm SOL.