1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toot-toot: Diagnosing noise / whistle / tone

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXBulldawg, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    TXBulldawg

TXBulldawg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver 4Runner SR5 4x4
    In progress...
    Well I hate to post this, but I've about worn out the search engine here looking for answers... Guess I'll just throw out some facts and thoughts and see if anyone has anything else to offer.

The truck: 2011 DC 4x4 SR5, 7,200 miles, Eibach coils, 5100s at 0, TSB springs. No problems with this set up since March.

Only recent addition: ARB bumper last week - no clue if it's in any way related.

So the past couple of days, I've noticed a steady, low whistling or humming noise. More accurately, it would probably be best described as a harmonic tone of some sort - kinda like you're blowing on an old glass coke bottle. It's not super loud, but it's audible enough that it's bugging my half-deaf ass.

During regular city driving, it starts up around 35-40mph and remains constant up to around 60 or so (my normal top speed on my commute). I took it up to 70 a little while ago, but I think the road noise simply overcame the mystery noise. If I stay at a steady 30 or so, I can get the noise, as well. Either way, the noise remains pretty constant until I get below 30 or so as I'm coming to a stop. There's no noticable vibration associated with this tone.

Now initially, I thought the sound was for sure coming from the front passenger side, but after some poking and prodding today, I'm not so sure.

I've pushed on windows and pulled on doors with no change. This is actually where I changed my mind about where it was coming from - when I'd lean over to the passenger side to tug on the door or push on a window, the sound seemed to migrate to a more ambiguious location somewhere toward the front of the truck.

So ruling some other things out...
    - Braking - doesn't change anything
    - Speed - doesn't change anything
    - Let up on the gas - no change
    - Lay in to the gas - no change
    - Change gears - no change
    - 4h - no change
    - I've experienced the cross-wind windshield buzz. This isn't it.
    - Windows up, windows down, it's still there
    - Haven't done any off-roading aside from a dirt road or two

I thought maybe the wind was playing the jugs with the new ARB bumper, so I taped over some open areas around the signals as well as the open ends of the hoops which protrude to the interior of the bumper. No change.

When installing the ARB, I had to flip up and zip-tie the front fender liners. Dunno if this might be the cause. I haven't messed with them so far.

When I got home a while ago after a little troubleshooting drive, I popped the hood and listened to the engine. It actually sounds like I can hear a very similar tone in the engine at idle up under the engine cover. Maybe something to do with the air box, so I'll look at that.

Things I haven't messed with yet:
    - Drivetrain stuff - axles, spindles, control arms, driveshafts, u-joints, etc
    - Air intake stuff - air box, filter, etc
    - ???

If I can't figure it out, I'll take it to the dealer, but for now, I'd like to at least make an attempt to stay as far away from there as I can.

Any suggestions?

I'm really hoping this doesn't get into bearing/differential territory at my mileage...

2. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    surfnmtns

surfnmtns New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 OR 5'
    I'm getting some strange whining/whistle/humming/out-of-tune harmonica noise in my new Taco as well. First truck, total noob, only got 200 miles and love it but drove about 40 miles away on the highway and starting hearing the noise coming from the center/passenger side dash when I hit 70-80 mph. There may have been some gusty winds as well. It's loud enough to interrupt the JBL sound in a very annoying way. I've read it may be a bad windshield molding or leaf in the intake but haven't been able to verify this yet.

One thing I did notice is that the front license plate has the dealer plastic plate in it and I'm thinking this could be the cause. It is normally flattened in place but after the long drive I noticed the bottom was bent inward and could easily cause a vibrating sound. I've taken it off and will do a test to see if it resolves the issue but not sure I'll know unless there's some wind on the road as well. Maybe this is causing your issue as well?

3. Aug 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    Went out for another drive. Taped up all the holes in the bumper, taped up all around the windshield... No change. Checked the air filter... Looked okay. Ran down the road with the filter out and still had the noise. Rode the brakes a little with no change in noise. Jerked the wheel back and forth a little bit like a drunken monkey with no change. If I'm accelerating from a stop, and my target speed is 45-50, the noise pops up like clockwork right around the 40mph mark. If I'm just cruising at around 30-35, it just kinda gradually shows up.

The more I twist and contort like some retarded acrobat while driving, the more it seems the noise might actually coming from under the cabin on back toward the rear axle. Hope this isn't rear diff noise I'm hearing...

4. Aug 8, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    cobracomander

cobracomander Well-Known Member

Member:
    wow! just noticed mine today at 60mph. Right front passenger side. Subscribing

5. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    God damn , I have the same harmonic tone , but it only occurs when I turn sharply .

So faint you can almost not hear it , but it sounds like an electronic pulse

It sounds like it is coming from under the dash .

6. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Patrickrogn

Patrickrogn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 6 Speed
    There is a chance it could be a wheel bearing. Check the right hand side bearings.

7. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    champs s10

champs s10 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    western ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma single cab base truck
    Rebel flag hanging from the rear view mirror and custom thrown mud on the side of the truck, aftermarket cd player, 10"mtx sub 400 watt amp, installed power inverter in bed 800 watt
    I have it to at 90 it is very loud

8. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Just started hearing something similar on mine... Heard it before reading this thread.

9. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM
    TXBulldawg

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In progress...
    Well, just a few days after posting this, I raised the front & rear, and I'm no longer noticing this noise. It may very well still be there, but I've got all the other noises & vibes associated with lifting to contend with, now. :D

10. Nov 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    joew94th

joew94th Member

Member:
    Cameron Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD offroad
    I have an '06 prerunner with 128K mile and I have a similar noise popped up about 5k miles ago. It's driving me crazy. I just had a new set of tires put on thinking I may have developed a strange wear pattern or something. The noise is still there. I've checked all of my glass & door fittings for air leaks. Don't notice any. Starts at about 35-40 mph. It's like a whine or whistle with a very faint vibration in it. It's hard to tell where it was coming from.

Products Discussed in

To Top