1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bigger Alternator for towing ?????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Harley1969, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    Harley1969

Harley1969 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TDR
    3inch coil lift, push bar, side step, fiber glass cover etc..
    Hi Guys,

I cannot find the answer and was wondering if someone could explain this.

Why does a factory towing kit ( bigger batt, bigger alternator) is different then an after market hitch install.

I've installed my hitch myself and installed an electric/hydrolic brake system. Got bigger leafs and thinking of installing air bag. So why can't I haul 6500lbs+ with my taco? why does it says max 3500lbs?

I guess what I am not understanding is what does the battery and alternator has to do with towing?

The reason I am asking is I am buying a large trailer (dry weight 4500lbs+- and 400lbs+- hitch weight) 32 footer and I really don't want to trade my taco.

This trailer would be hauled less then 1000miles per summer, longest trip prob being 350miles with minimal hills. If I would consider going further I would just rent a truck for that period of time.

Tks for your help!

2. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trailer lights place extra load on the alternator.

3. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Trailer brakes draw also

4. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    i dont know what the amp draw is from an electric break controller but that is the only reason i could think of, power is not going to be your problem, stopping always is. most all trucks and cars are way overpowered now. Im in no way saying it is safe or telling you, you can do it but i have towed way more then that. i on a regular basis ask my truck to tow more then its weight, this will reduce its life expectancy but its what i need from it.

5. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Uh, the entire ENGINE, and everything attached to the belt system, is under greater strain when hauling a load. Thus the heavier duty parts.

OP, a lot of things go into making a vehicle tow ready - frame, suspension, electrical bits, engine power, drivetrain engineering, etc.

The safe bet is tow package, but people pull things above their rated level all the time...making a habit out of it probably isn't a good idea.

Honestly, if you're going to be doing serious towing, you need a full size anyway.

6. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    bingo

7. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    My understanding is that the alternator and battery are upgraded to keep up with the electric brakes. In actual practice, I doubt the alternator is going to make a big difference. If it were me, I would upgrade the battery first, and the alternator if you have problems keeping the battery charged.

I know the towing package adds an engine oil cooler. Maybe a different fan clutch too?

Is your's an automatic? Wondering about an aux trans cooler.

I would be focused on finding the difference in stopping power and cooling between tow package and no tow package.

8. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    And don't forget the ATF Cooler, 7 pin trailer harness, oil cooler below the oil filter along with the heavy duty battery and alternator, class 4 receiver

9. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    If you're going to upgrade for towing tranny and oil coolers would be at the top of my list, not the alternator

Jimmyh and eherlihy like this.
  10. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    Harley1969

Harley1969 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TDR
    3inch coil lift, push bar, side step, fiber glass cover etc..
    Tks guys,

from what I am gathering it shouldn't be big issue. I am not looking to tow this thing everywhere. Prob 1-2 trips 350miles max of distance. So the need of a bigger truck is not worth it, I'll just rent a bigger truck if I decide to take the TT further.

Here's what I am looking at, any opinions or do you know someone that own's one.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/slingshot/

Tks :D

11. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    My understanding is all the Canadian trucks have the bigger alternator/battery anyways to deal with the colder climate.

Otherwise, if you have a proper class IV hitch and trailer wiring a v6 should be rated at 500 lbs tongue & 5000 lbs trailer. 3500lbs is for the bumper hitch and/or 4 cylinder trucks I believe. The full 6500 lbs trailer rating is with the full factory tow package which includes the engine and transmission oil cooler in addition to the larger battery/alternator, hitch and 7 pin wiring.

12. Jun 5, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    mrstan

mrstan New Member

Member:
    A bigger alternator is for none of the reasons I’ve read on here so far. It’s not for trailer lights or electric brakes, which add negligible load.

It is for the cooling fan/fans. It’s all about the cooling. Some tow packages add tranny and/or engine coolers, which put more heat into the cooling system. Even if a tow package includes a bigger radiator, which they usually do, the electric fan or fans will run longer and harder.

Those fans draw a lot of amps. You can hear the engine speed up when the cooling fans click on due to the alternator working harder. As a matter of fact, some tow packages include upgraded fan motors with bigger amps due to more continuous running. Sometimes the fan blades are also different as well to move more air. It all fits together.... bigger capacity alternator driving more electricity, often through a higher amp fuse, to a bigger amp draw fan motor.

13. Jun 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Tacomas don't have electric fans.

Not sure about 2nd gens but 1st gens had a heavy duty fan clutch that came with the tow package.

14. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    My 2013 factory V6 tow package consists of:
    Class iv hitch
    Engine oil cooler
    Transmission cooler (if automatic trans.)
    130A alternator
    Heavy duty battery (Group 27 F)
    7 pin connector w/ converter and trailer sway control
    This was a $650.00 option and this data is from the window sticker.

eherlihy and Sidney Vicious like this.
  15. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    That is a big ass trailer for a Tacoma. It will be controlling the truck a ton!
    I feel my small 5x8 enclosed with a 700# mower in it enough, no way I want to be hauling triple that with a taco. It's a great truck, just not designed for that life.

In one of these towing camper threads a guy has a brand new 18 or 19 taco. Took 1 trip with his new camper that is similar in size to what your talking and traded it in for a full size.

16. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    I can say that I have not yet seen a Tacoma towing a large trailer like that on the NYS Thruway and there are many coming down and going up every weekend. They are all full sized 3/4 ton or larger for the most part. I'd be really wary of towing that big of a trailer.

17. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OP hasn't been around since 2012. This thread has happily burried in the archives until mrstan felt the need to join TW and provide us with all his electric fan knowledge that apply to vehicles other than Tacomas.

Sidney Vicious and zero4 like this.
  18. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    mrstan

mrstan New Member

Member:
    “Tacomas don't have electric fans.

Not sure about 2nd gens but 1st gens had a heavy duty fan clutch that came with the tow package.”

Then the Tacoma you have doesn’t require a bigger alternator as part of a tow package. Remember, the question is why is a bigger alternator required? The person asking the question apparently does have a Tacoma with electric fans, as most modern vehicles do, so why are you interjecting with a comment about an older vehicle that doesn’t?

People too often answer a different question than what’s asked. It’s not about all tow packages, it’s about those that come with a bigger alternator. If your vehicle does not use electric fans then your situation is not applicable to the question. It’s still all about the cooling!

19. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    mrstan

mrstan New Member

Member:
    “The OP hasn't been around since 2012. This thread has happily burried in the archives until mrstan felt the need to join TW and provide us with all his electric fan knowledge that apply to vehicles other than Tacomas.”

Put your head back up your bum, fool. What, nobody can comment on an old thread? You the thread nazi or something? Idiot.

20. Jun 5, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Lol. I love these thread revivals.

The bigger alternator is for charging the batteries on the TT.

MTgirl and stickyTaco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top