Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

spare tire question

Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
spare tire question

Does anyone with 35's keep their stock spare tire? Can it be used safely? I don't even know if I could jack up my truck if needed in an emergency to change a tire
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think your stock spare wheel will clear your spindle on a 6'' drop bracket lift.

It's not good for a differential to run around with two very different size tires, either.

You shouldn't have any issue lifting your truck. Use your drop bracket as the jacking point.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TaCo07 View Post
Does anyone with 35's keep their stock spare tire? Can it be used safely? I don't even know if I could jack up my truck if needed in an emergency to change a tire
I have this same exact problem. Still have the factory spare with 16" so I will be screwed 3 ways: Don't think the jack will fit anywhere, spare is 245, and the rim is a 16" lol.....I need a bigger tire/wheel
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
same question. what have some of you guys done about this problem? i don't want to throw a spare in my bed cuz i usually have to haul shit. will a bigger one fit underneath? did yall get a bigger tire put on the oem spare rim? got a bigger rim and tire?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a good plug kit and a compressor to air it up. That is what I had in my Jeep once the gas prices went nuts and I took my oversized spare off to save weight.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
I don't think your stock spare wheel will clear your spindle on a 6'' drop bracket lift.

It's not good for a differential to run around with two very different size tires, either.

You shouldn't have any issue lifting your truck. Use your drop bracket as the jacking point.
With an open differential, 2 different sized tires for a short distance to get yourself to a shop would not cause any issues. Not good for long distances but in an emergency situation you can do it. If you have LSD or posi this could cause problems.

Carry a tire plug kit and a pump so you can repair the tire in most situations rather than needing the spare.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Well lets add LSD to the I'm screwed list...time for a plug/pump kit
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
With an open differential, 2 different sized tires for a short distance to get yourself to a shop would not cause any issues. Not good for long distances but in an emergency situation you can do it. If you have LSD or posi this could cause problems.

Carry a tire plug kit and a pump so you can repair the tire in most situations rather than needing the spare.
i have a plug/pump kit but i've been in a few cars where the tire was unrepairable. it's rare, and i hope to never be in that predicament with my truck.

how can i find out if i have Limited Slip Diff? if i just have to go a short distance then i won't mind using my oem spare. i've thought about getting a used bigger diameter tire on the spare rim to minimize any issues while using it, but my spare is in excellent condition and i'd hate to get rid of it.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachito View Post
i have a plug/pump kit but i've been in a few cars where the tire was unrepairable. it's rare, and i hope to never be in that predicament with my truck.

how can i find out if i have Limited Slip Diff? if i just have to go a short distance then i won't mind using my oem spare. i've thought about getting a used bigger diameter tire on the spare rim to minimize any issues while using it, but my spare is in excellent condition and i'd hate to get rid of it.
Should be a sticker on the rear diff that says "LSD Additive" or something to that effect telling you to use LSD additive when changing the fluid.

It'd only be the rear that has limited slip unless you modified the front end on your own. Worst case, if you have LSD and shred a rear tire and only have a small spare, put one of the full size tires from the front on the rear and use the small spare in the front. You'll either have an open differential in the front or you're 2wd. Keep it out of 4wd with the smaller front tire and limp your way back to a shop to get it repaired.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
You can put one side in some loose dirt with the other side on pavement and gas it. If the dirt side spins and the pavement side don't it ain't locked. If it's locked neither side will spin or very little.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Rear tire carrier or some sort of roof mount?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
You can put one side in some loose dirt with the other side on pavement and gas it. If the dirt side spins and the pavement side don't it ain't locked. If it's locked neither side will spin or very little.
Sounds more fun than looking at a sticker

I don't have it though, so 1 tire fire for me
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Should be a sticker on the rear diff that says "LSD Additive" or something to that effect telling you to use LSD additive when changing the fluid.

It'd only be the rear that has limited slip unless you modified the front end on your own. Worst case, if you have LSD and shred a rear tire and only have a small spare, put one of the full size tires from the front on the rear and use the small spare in the front. You'll either have an open differential in the front or you're 2wd. Keep it out of 4wd with the smaller front tire and limp your way back to a shop to get it repaired.
ah, i've looked for that before, now that you mention it. i'm good, no LSD.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
plurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
plurpimpin's Tacoma Gallery
Carry a plug kit, its way easier than changing a tire. I have a spare and a plug kit but I only use the spare if it's a sidewall puncture. I can leave the wheel on the car to plug it.

The plug kit will cover most of your flats
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a plug kit. The spare was the first thing to go from the truck. I know it's nice to have it when needed but only needed a spare once in my many years of driving.