Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I make an offer on this 2009 DC OR?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Should I make an offer on this 2009 DC OR?

http://www.wilsontoyota.com/certifie...acc957d817.htm

Carfax says it's been on the lot for about 2 months. Is there anything I should know about the 2009 or any red flags here?

The original plan was to buy new through USAA/Zag and the best I can do right now is $30,400 through Zag at a dealership in Wisconsin. I'm in Seattle! The good thing about getting new, aside from a brand new truck, is I can get the $1,000 grad rebate so I have to weigh $29,400 vs whatever I could offer on the used Taco.

I'm thinking about offering $26,995. Any advise? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
For a couple grand more you can get brand new. I had the same choice a couple years ago. Buy a late model with 20-30k miles or brand new for couple thousand more. I went with new. Just made more sense to me.
Only thing I can think to stop you from new would be the lots might be slim pickings since the 2011s are prob being sold off and I don't think the 2012s are rolling into the lots yet.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

lawless's Tacoma Gallery
good point about the slim pickings - i failed to metion that but it is causing a bit of stress in the back of my mind.

a big factor is how the 2012 is going to be received and whether there will be a mad demand increase on 2011 because of nasty changes or if it goes the other way and nobody wants the 2011 because the 12 is so badass.

somebody posted in here that they can't order an 11 from the factory anymore. i wish i could see the new model year.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My truck was 30K new. That extra 4000 would cost you only about $80 a month.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you offer 26,995, you'll end up at 27,500. I'd start in the low 20's, maybe 23,000 or 23,500. That's too high for a 2 year (almost 3 year old) truck that's out of warranty in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
You may save some more on the new one also because of a lower intrest rate as opposed to used car interest rates. If I was that close between new and used, I'd go new. Don't you also get free maintenance with the new ones or is that over?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #7

lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you offer 26,995, you'll end up at 27,500. I'd start in the low 20's, maybe 23,000 or 23,500. That's too high for a 2 year (almost 3 year old) truck that's out of warranty in my opinion.
unfortunately, this will never fly in the Seattle area. i've been laughed out of a few dealerships for making offers that I thought were reasonable. I know it doesn't hurt to try but you have to understand there seems to be so many folks in the NW that will pay a premium for the Taco that dealers get away with charging unreasonable prices. For this reason I've been looking all over the country through USAA to save $$.

It's certified so it has the 12-month + 100,000 mile 7 year extended warranty.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #8

lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post
You may save some more on the new one also because of a lower intrest rate as opposed to used car interest rates. If I was that close between new and used, I'd go new. Don't you also get free maintenance with the new ones or is that over?
ToyotaCare is still happening but it's not pushing me one way or the other too much. I think it pretty much comes down to oil changes at a 10,000 mile service interval. meh.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
TACOMA TIME is on a distinguished road
TACOMA TIME's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at my truck for sale for $27,000. May have more fun with this. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/171135-2006-tacoma-4x4-long-travel-dream-truck.html
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
unfortunately, this will never fly in the Seattle area. i've been laughed out of a few dealerships for making offers that I thought were reasonable. I know it doesn't hurt to try but you have to understand there seems to be so many folks in the NW that will pay a premium for the Taco that dealers get away with charging unreasonable prices. For this reason I've been looking all over the country through USAA to save $$.

It's certified so it has the 12-month + 100,000 mile 7 year extended warranty.
You're right, every area is different. There are lots of dealerships around here so competition is fierce and benefits the consumer. Something to keep in mind though is the cost of a new Tacoma with a warranty isn't that much more and the dealership has been sitting on that truck for 2 months and may want to move it. Worst they can say is no.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
No...you should buy this one!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...eam-truck.html
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TIME View Post
Take a look at my truck for sale for $27,000. May have more fun with this. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/171135-2006-tacoma-4x4-long-travel-dream-truck.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I'll take one of each please.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
You know people pay more for that color!

Heres the deal- Dealer probably has this truck priced about $4000 above what he gave for the trade.
The truck has the original tires w 37K on them, the truck is out of the bumper to bumper warranty period being over 36K, and it is almost three years old. These are a plus for you in getting them to lower the price. But, this is one of the top of the line Tacoma models, its a great color , and seems to be very clean inside and out. The dealer probably will not budge much if there is any demand in the area for these trucks. So, like mentioned it almost makes no sense to buy used when you can buy new, especially if you get a lower % on the loan of a new car, etc.
But, it does not hurt to make an offer. If you feel it would be a good deal if say you could get the truck for $3000 to 3500 less then the asking price, make an offer at that price. It gives them a profit of $500-1000. You never know, its been sitting 2 months and many dealers wholesale the trucks if they do not move, so a small deal would be better then whole selling the vehicle, make sense? Good luck...
By the way, you will love the color!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
13BGriff is on a distinguished road
Army: B Btry 5/2 SCR
13BGriff's Tacoma Gallery
It seems kind of expensive, I bought mine, a 2011 Magnetic Gray Metallic DC TRD OR with the tow package, 6-spd 4.0V6 for 29.5k out the door, 8 miles on the odo. You should be able to talk them down quite a bit lower than that and mention that if you bought a new truck you would get the 2-year Toyota Care package and that they should throw that in for helping them get the older one off the lot. Might as well get some all weather floor mats and whatever else you can get out of them.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #15

lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
You know people pay more for that color!

Heres the deal- Dealer probably has this truck priced about $4000 above what he gave for the trade.
The truck has the original tires w 37K on them, the truck is out of the bumper to bumper warranty period being over 36K, and it is almost three years old. These are a plus for you in getting them to lower the price. But, this is one of the top of the line Tacoma models, its a great color , and seems to be very clean inside and out. The dealer probably will not budge much if there is any demand in the area for these trucks. So, like mentioned it almost makes no sense to buy used when you can buy new, especially if you get a lower % on the loan of a new car, etc.
But, it does not hurt to make an offer. If you feel it would be a good deal if say you could get the truck for $3000 to 3500 less then the asking price, make an offer at that price. It gives them a profit of $500-1000. You never know, its been sitting 2 months and many dealers wholesale the trucks if they do not move, so a small deal would be better then whole selling the vehicle, make sense? Good luck...
By the way, you will love the color!
I was TM from the beginning then I meandered over the MGM but now I'm back to TM. The TM OR looks sweet I think and there aren't that many of them.

My thoughts on this are pretty much the same as you mention in your post. I think I'll go to the dealer and make an offer making sure to point out the truck is almost 4 years old, has 37k miles, and i'll pretend it's some awful green color that nobody wants . If I can get a good deal then I'll take it but if not then I'll pay more for a new truck.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
travbz24 is a name known to alltravbz24 is a name known to alltravbz24 is a name known to alltravbz24 is a name known to alltravbz24 is a name known to alltravbz24 is a name known to all
travbz24's Tacoma Gallery
Funny thing about this post is that when I saw Wilson Toyota, I thought I could give some advice. I used to work at Wilson Toyota, except its in Iowa. Also saw the dealership is on Iowa street... ironic!!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
I was TM from the beginning then I meandered over the MGM but now I'm back to TM. The TM OR looks sweet I think and there aren't that many of them.

My thoughts on this are pretty much the same as you mention in your post. I think I'll go to the dealer and make an offer making sure to point out the truck is almost 4 years old, has 37k miles, and i'll pretend it's some awful green color that nobody wants . If I can get a good deal then I'll take it but if not then I'll pay more for a new truck.
Very rare color, I can not remember the last time I saw another TM running around. I only see them on these sites. You will see a few Tundras with a simular Green, but its not TM
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Hands down my favorite color. I like the fact that there are not many around.