Notices

brake rotors warped

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
UberNuub
jarpil is on a distinguished road

jarpil's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to jarpil
brake rotors warped

I have been noticing some steering wheel shaking and while braking it gets worse.
In my local stealership i was told the rotors are warped and need resurfacing(?????) You don't resurface brake rotors when they are warped, do you? Would it help? I got 38k miles on my Tacoma so it's out of factory warranty and my extended warranty doesn't cover brake rotors.
I don't haul nor overloading the truck. Is it normal to have warped rotors after 38k miles?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on how bad the warp is. Sometimes they can fix it. Did you wash your wheels off after a long drive?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
UberNuub

jarpil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Did you wash your wheels off after a long drive?

Nope i didn't.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My dad drives like a madman {very scary to ride with, white knuckles}, he's seems to have warped rotors everytime he needs front brakes. I drive normal and have never warped the rotors. Are you real hard on your brakes?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I will trade you roders! Mine have a huge groove on the roder...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
UberNuub

jarpil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Are you real hard on your brakes?
Not at all.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
Once rotors start warping, it will only get worse. Turning them will help until the rotors heat up again (long drive). Warping of the rotors is the softening and hardening of the rotor material. No matter what, when they are warped, they will forever be warped and cause a lot of problems on your brakes.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
You can resurface brake rotors and drums as long as they are still within their legal limits. Just have a shop measure your rotors thickness and see if they are still thick enough.

The minimum thickness of your rotors are stamped on the rotor you just have to find it.

I would suggest you replace the rotors instead of getting them resurfaced. New rotors will last longer without warping and their is not too much of a cost difference.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
UberNuub

jarpil's Tacoma Gallery
After all the time i spent on the phone with Toyota it looks like they are not going to pay for new rotors so i will have to get them.
What is a good brand? Would Brembo be a good choice? Anyone has an idea how much would installing new rotors cost?

BTW i am really upset about this. I thought i am getting one of the most reliable truck on market. I am not abusing the truck in any way neither i am heavy on the breaks and still warped rotors in 38k miles.