Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Rail Ammo Can

Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #41
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
where did you get the square bolts? what are you guys sourcing for these...i wandered around ace but aside from a bolt with a washer and sliding it in, i didn't have too much luck finding anything suitable. figured it'd be easy to find something..
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #43
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the ammo cans go, I can't ship them for a reasonable price. it would be better for some of you guys to get these from an internet site that distributes them or get a contact with somebody that can get them for free that is local.

If you are local to me (southern california, orange county area), I can get them to you for nothing.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I've got some ammo cans too, not mounted to the bed rails though

How did you mount those?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallygater View Post
What size are these boxes? And how do you have them mounted? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
How did you mount those?
I can't remember the size off the top of my head. I have two bolts running through the bottom of the box through the bed.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #46
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I can't remember the size off the top of my head. I have two bolts running through the bottom of the box through the bed.
Cool, thanks. I really like that location and look.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #47
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I decided to clean this up a little this afternoon. It's pretty obvious what this is for. I have had to apply two tourniquets to injured motorcycle riders this past year so putting this on the outside should help for those "just in case" moments.

Did you paint that yourself?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
Did you paint that yourself?
yep
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yep
Looks great
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #50
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I decided to clean this up a little this afternoon. It's pretty obvious what this is for. I have had to apply two tourniquets to injured motorcycle riders this past year so putting this on the outside should help for those "just in case" moments.

so how do you end up seeing so many injured motorcyclist? dirt bikes / street bikes? I've never seen a hurt motorcyclist, let alone been there to apply a tourniquet... just wondering how you had to twice in one year..

btw it's good you were there for those people
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #51
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I have seen a few injured drivers. The last one I saw was cut in half. Killed by a drunk driver. I like the ammo can ideas. If you respect the driver and riders then all is well. I have a few coming soon that have the can mount with them I will post some pics when they arrive.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
so how do you end up seeing so many injured motorcyclist? dirt bikes / street bikes? I've never seen a hurt motorcyclist, let alone been there to apply a tourniquet... just wondering how you had to twice in one year..

btw it's good you were there for those people
This was last december (2010) and I was driving home from the auto store. Around a corner, 100 meters from a stop sting was a downed motorcyclist. I don't know how he downed it only 100 meters from a stop sign but his bike was another 100 meters down the road from him. He had a compound fracture to his right leg and was already bleeding out. I was second on the scene and applied one tourniquet. Needless to say that one wasn't holding so I applied another.

Then at Ocotillo wells this past march I was going down one of the washes when I came upon a dirt biker and his girlfriend. Don't know what happened but the girlfriend had blood running down her leg so I stopped to help out there. Rangers were on the scene within 10 minutes.

So after that I always have a good readily accessible first aid kit in my truck. I don't lock mine and I haven't had a problem with thefts.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #53
jcmartinez17 is on a distinguished road

Name: jc
jcmartinez17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As far as the ammo cans go, I can't ship them for a reasonable price. it would be better for some of you guys to get these from an internet site that distributes them or get a contact with somebody that can get them for free that is local.

If you are local to me (southern california, orange county area), I can get them to you for nothing.
hey im in ontario, cali and was wondering how much u can get them for? drive over there is not a problem for me since i go to school at CSUF
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmartinez17 View Post
hey im in ontario, cali and was wondering how much u can get them for? drive over there is not a problem for me since i go to school at CSUF
I get them for free. I can get anything from small 7.62 200 round cans, .50 cal cans, 800 round M249 SAW cans, MK19 cans and mortar cans.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
how long do the seals on these ammo cans last? I have a few that I keep my spare ammo in, but I got them from a gun show years ago and they were already pretty old. I'd like to get new ones but all the ones I find at shows/army surplus stores are either way too expensive or old and beat up. I actually like the beat up look but the function always suffers. And I'm not sure if I trust the seal. If I put some on my truck here in the PNW I want to trust the seal.

I think I need to make friends with someone locally who can get their hands on brand new ones...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #56
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Also - does anyone who mounts them to the bed rails have any issues with water leakage through the mounting holes?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #57
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
You probable;y have some older cans if the seals at the top aren't holding. The newer ones have pretty good seals in the lid. As far as the holes, I seal those up so no water gets inside.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #58
jcmartinez17 is on a distinguished road

Name: jc
jcmartinez17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here are two I have mounted. Oh and if you guys need ammo cans, I can get any type and size.

oh on way, thats cool, i was looking at some like these
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Figured I would add to this thread rather then starting a whole new one

Ammo Can install. Will be nice to get some of the straps out of the truck and in to the ammo cans.

Typical 50 Cal ammo can $12 from the local surplus.

Marking where I want the holes to be for mounting to the bed rail.

Two holes drilled

And one on the end. This can mounts at the front of the bed so I had it mount to both the side rail and the front rail for better support and less movement on bumpy roads...

I found these bolts at ACE, I should have waited and ordered some of the T Nuts that are list in other threads but I got antsy. These are 1/2" lag bolts. They fit in the bed rail a little tight but a quick sand and they fit right in.

Auto focus failed me here but you get the idea.

I jumped ahead since I had one already mounted. Steps left out where the enlarging the hole on the clamp so it will fit a I bolt thru for locking. And painting with bed liner.

Better look at the Locking set up.

When open it rests on the window frame not the painted truck surface

Here you can see the length of the bolts I choose where a little long and they are a little obtrusive. I plan to get some shorter ones later. But for now this set up is stout. Having the can mounted in two planes really makes it solid. I am not afraid of this getting loose or moving too much.

I can take more pics if people want.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #60
aclauver is a name known to allaclauver is a name known to allaclauver is a name known to allaclauver is a name known to allaclauver is a name known to allaclauver is a name known to all

Marines:
Name: adam
aclauver's Tacoma Gallery
would you have enough room if u had a nut on the inside of the rail and then a bolt inserted from the ammo can box to the nut inside the rail? how good do you think that would hold? i just dont like have a large nut and bolt on the inside, hands, items inside the box get caught/ripped. just an idea