Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Haulin an ATV

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
FishTaco is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
FishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Haulin an ATV

I'm researching a new ATV. Wanted to know if anyone out there had one and what they did to transport it. Does everyone buy a trailer and just tow it, or has anyone been able to fit it in their bed? It seems that most ATVs are a couple inches wider than between the wheel hubs.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Dominant967 is on a distinguished road

Dominant967's Tacoma Gallery
small atv's fit big ones like i got dont fit get a trailer pics

can am 650 cc atv making 52 hp a beast on the trails....

5ft x8ft trailer brand new cost $850 wired with welded tie down holders, reflectors etc....
Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
MTOYOTAOWNR is on a distinguished road
MTOYOTAOWNR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant967 View Post
small atv's fit big ones like i got dont fit get a trailer pics

can am 650 cc atv making 52 hp a beast on the trails....

5ft x8ft trailer brand new cost $850 wired with welded tie down holders, reflectors etc....
question for you, how wide is your atv??
according to toyota.com, the bed is approx 57" wide and 41" between fenders. your atv is still wider than that??
i have a raptor 700 the width is only 46.1".
thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #4

The widest part of my atv is 47 inches thats the back of it, because of the massive rear tires. The front is only 44" wide, a trailer is so much better then loading it in your truck.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant967 View Post
The widest part of my atv is 47 inches thats the back of it, because of the massive rear tires. The front is only 44" wide, a trailer is so much better then loading it in your truck.

plus....you gotta watch out for bending the tailgate. trailers are alot easier!!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
plus....you gotta watch out for bending the tailgate. trailers are alot easier!!

What do you mean about bending the tailgate????
I thought that is what a truck is all about???
Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
kngharley is on a distinguished road

kngharley's Tacoma Gallery
We use a trailer for ours. It wont fit between the wheel wells.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Liam1234 is on a distinguished road
Liam1234's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Honda Rancher 4x4ES. The online specs' say the width of the ATV is 45", I'm only interested in the width from outside of tire to outside of tire. I just measured mine on the ATV and its right around 41 1/4".

I currently trailer my ATV with a Land Rover but its a PIA when going far away, all my buddies have theirs in the back of their trucks.

I plan on getting ramps and using "my yet to be purchased" Tacoma for this. I will muscle it over the wheel wells, it will be a tight fit but should work.

I would say trailers are not easier at all. An ATV in your truck is more compact, easier to handle, go long distances without worry about what the trailer is doing on the highway, messing with electrical connections, backing up. I go on rides every Friday night and after a couple years the trailer is routine is wearing me down.

As far as bending the tailgate. My buddy beats the heck out of his 2000 Tundra tailgate plus like MTOYOTAOWNR says, its a truck.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOYOTAOWNR View Post
I take personal pride in my vehicles, so I take care of them. Trashing it isn't an option to me, they cost way to much to do that to them!!

That being said, I use a trailer as well to tow my ATV, since I have a hard cover, A.R.E. lid on the back!!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOYOTAOWNR View Post
why the hell would i want to intentionally bend my tail gate

they are relatively weak afterall, and even if there is a tsb out for it if it bends....im still not gonna do it on purpose!!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #11

When you talk about load time comparing trailers to pick up beds, by the time you load your atv into truck i will be down the road already...besides with a trailer you have room in your truck bed for coolers, camping gear etc...even a few friends when your there are many in your group....on long distances you just use solid tie downs and that atv wont move no matter how far your going...the only hassle with trailers is parking ...sometimes there not enough room to park them..
Old 06-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
My Yamaha 660R Raptor fits perfect. DC Short Box.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
i fit my raptor and my wolverine in the back of my 99.. and i bent my tailgate! i was pssied
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzach View Post
My Yamaha 660R Raptor fits perfect. DC Short Box.
Just to let everyone know, I was asking why would the tailgate bend.
I believe in taking care of my truck too.
It just baffled me that a tailgate could bend at all.

Cool mandzach, your quad is almost exactly like mine.
I am impatiently waiting for my Tacoma to arrive!!!
Only 2 more weeks, hopefully!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
No worries on the tailgate -mine bent bad and was replaced by my dealer.

Now there is a TSB on the tailgate so no worries.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
it bends when your drunk ass pushes your 4 wheeler off the back with no ramps! lesson leanred!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
bpop1302 is on a distinguished road
bpop1302's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to bpop1302
I fit my Suzuki Eiger 400cc 4X4 perfectly in the bed of my 07 Xtra Cab. Rear tires did not even touch the tailgate at all, but was not able to close the gate because of how far back the tires do stick out. But strap it down and you will have no problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
07TACOTRDSPORT is on a distinguished road

07TACOTRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I too am looking at buying a 4-wheeler (Honda Rancher 400 4x4ES). The spec.'s say it is 46" wide I just measure my wheel base ( a little more than 41"). I'm just wondering if it would fit over the wheel base??? There are a lot of ramps avail. but you have to wonder if they could be folded up and locked up in the cab. I would hate to end the day with no ramps.............. looking for advice I really don't want to have to buy a trailer too.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering. How much did u guys buy your ATVs for?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
I have a older model Suzuki King Quad 4x4, it fits in the bed and I can close the tail gate. Great quad for hunting but it will not will any contest for speed or looks...LOL
I hauled it alot in my 2005 Tacoma and now I haul it in my 2008 and I have never had a problem with the tailgate.