Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer brake job??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
kmp77 is on a distinguished road
kmp77's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer brake job??

I got my oil changed recently on my 2006 Tacoma and the dealer said next time I'll probably need a brake job (will be 65k miles). I asked how much and he said prob $380 for pads and machine the rotors. Is this seem out of wack price wise?

If so, what can I do to save some money outside of doing it myself? I don't have the tools etc. If I buy the brakes myself and have them put it on, will that save a significant amount? I think a set is like $50 outside of the dealer. I'm thinking the dealer charges like $150. Could be wrong. Or would it be better to buy the pads I want and find a mechanic to put them on and handle the rotors? I just don't have a mechanic I trust here so will have to investigate that.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
$380 is atrocious. Buy the pads yourself for $20 and slide them in. Does the truck shake or do you feel a vibration when you brake? If so the rotors need machined. You can probably take them to a shop and have them done, saving more money.

Edit: or if the rotors have grooves in them and aren't smooth
Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
And I think all you need to do on these trucks to change the pads is pull out a cotter pin and slide them in/out.

Most places won't go for you bringing in your own pads because they mark up the price of the parts outlandishly. That's how the rats make most of their money.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
zippythepinhead is on a distinguished road
zippythepinhead's Tacoma Gallery
Get some good pads if you do it yourself. I use the Akebono ACT976 pads, which are $49 currently at Rock Auto (I can't link directly to Rock Auto catalog items). These are good pads, and I can get 35K miles out of one set, even when my wife drives the Sequoia almost exclusively. To give you a point of comparison, I paid my mechanic $250 to change the pads once, and he put in some cheap pads that only lasted 17K miles. What a waste of money...

I'm not skilled at maintenance, but I have changed my own brake pads for years, and it is not hard. You can find threads here and there that can show you what to do.

I never machine the rotors; the new pads will conform to the rotor surface very soon after installation.

The one piece of advice I would give is make sure to:

1) put a rag under your brake fluid reservoir, so that any overflow will be captured before it gets on engine components;
2) be very careful when compressing the pistons in the caliper. I use a C-clamp, a big one, and I push both of them in at once.

I learned the hard way that pushing one piston at a time is a poor strategy.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
AC/Delco pads (most expensive) $52.00 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=959158

Raybestos rotors (mid price) $63.00 each http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=513509

Even replacing the rotors your talking $180 in savings doing it yourself. Rotors are not hard to do at all.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I always do my own brakes. The savings have added up over the years.
If you don't feel comfortable doing it by yourself, find a wrenching meet in your area, and let them give you pointers.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp77 View Post
I got my oil changed recently on my 2006 Tacoma and the dealer said next time I'll probably need a brake job (will be 65k miles). I asked how much and he said prob $380 for pads and machine the rotors. Is this seem out of wack price wise?

If so, what can I do to save some money outside of doing it myself? I don't have the tools etc. If I buy the brakes myself and have them put it on, will that save a significant amount? I think a set is like $50 outside of the dealer. I'm thinking the dealer charges like $150. Could be wrong. Or would it be better to buy the pads I want and find a mechanic to put them on and handle the rotors? I just don't have a mechanic I trust here so will have to investigate that.
It may seem atrocious but it's not out of line with normal dealer pricing. But I wouldn't let them turn or 'cut' the rotors.

If they're grooved or run-out is bad, i.e., warped, and the steering wheel shakes then replace them. It's far better than taking away metal that will just lead to early warping in the future.

If nothing's wrong, or run-out is good but the wheel shakes from glazing deposits, then thoroughly roughen the surface with medium to coarse sand paper to break the glaze and bed the new pads.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
I always machine my rotors. I just take them down to the local auto parts store and they do them while I wait. I've done brake jobs without machining the rotors and only had a problem once, a really stiff pedal. I redid it, new pads and machined the rotors and it was fine. Ever since then I just go ahead and machine them, it gives the pads a fresh surface to work with. Just my $.02

But yeah, $380 for a brake job is robbery. Screw that
Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
textoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Fred
textoy's Tacoma Gallery
if it just pads, anyone can do it. If you need to remove the rotors and it is 4WD, then if becomes a job. If it is 2wd, removing rotors is easy.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Do your brakes yourself, cheaper! It is very easy to change brake pads and rotors if need be on the Tacoma's.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
No one touches my brakes but me. That way, I know it's done right.

Products Discussed in this Thread