1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Dirty Secrets?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elementfiftyfour, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Be advised, while you get a full sized spare tire, the wheel it comes on does not match the four wheels on the truck, so you really can't put it into the tire rotation without the truck looking stupid.

2. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    I've read about throw-out bearing issues/problems, but it shouldn't be a show-stopper if you want an MT.

I came over from Jeep too. (01 XJ, lifted, locked, etc)

The major components over here in the world of Toyota (engine, frame, brakes, transmission) are pretty much good to go. The suspension in stock form is what I consider to be very capable. It's no loaded Rubicon out of the box, but it hauls plenty, tows more and chances are it won't let you down.

Plus, like Jeeps, Tacomas/FJs are a great canvass for modification and enjoy a fair amount of aftermarket support.

My $.02, keep the change.

3. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    Fodder4U

Fodder4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    The Colony, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Stock for now.
    Howdy,

Back in May I traded my 2006 lifted and armored Jeep LJ in for a 2011 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 SR5 and do not regret it. I am getting twice the gas mileage and have even more room for gear.

These are not so easy and cheap to lift and run 35's as our Jeeps and from what I been reading are not as great of rock crawlers without major mods (which is what I am into).

LOL wait til you price bumpers and sliders for these trucks!!! OUCH!!

But all that being said, I love the truck and the nice ride it provides vs the LJ and will not miss the "death wobble".

I have decided if I am going to do serious crawling then I am gonna get a buggy and this Taco can pull it no problem.

4. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    Fodder4U

Fodder4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    The Colony, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Stock for now.
    double post

5. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    you wont regreat it....i love jeeps and if i build a rock rig it would be a stripped jeep but if you want a great ridding ,reliable truck to mod and offroad and use as a DD then you canot beat a tacoma...1st gens are more rugged,2nd gens are more comfy and roomy....both get the job done......if you like offroading and dont need interior room i recomend a 1st gen ext cab trd off road...if you need a roomy truck for family and gear get a 2nd gen double cab.....4cyl and 6cyl. are both great so are the 5sp,6spd maunals and also the 4spd,5spd autos....with that being said ive owned and modded chevys,fords,jeeps,an old nissan and several toyotas....my 06 trd sport is probly my favorite truck yet :)

6. Aug 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    This is my third Tacoma.. an 01 off road 4x4, 06 sport 4x4, and now the 09 off road 4x4.. the off roads are great man. The locker and the Atrac in the 09+.. thy are tanks. I've never had an Issue with any of them besides the occasional rattle, blower motor squeak which can easily be fixed, and an alternator died on the 01. no drivetrain, engine, or suspension issues. I came from a 98 Wrangler as well and dont regret one second of owning my tacos.. the only issue I have.. THEY ARE ADDICTING.. lol. go with a v6 four door trd off road and you won't be disappointed.

7. Aug 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    The true "dirty little secret" regarding Toyota....

...Waterpumps and their gaskets.

(Still love my truck though!)

8. Aug 16, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Well the manual transmission gets worse mileage than the auto. The auto is also rumored to be a little bit stronger. The trd offroad has a locker in the rear, the sport has limited slip. lifting it causes vibration issues or wandering on some, but is usually cured with uca's.

9. Aug 16, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We have both a 08 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and a 011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab and live way up in the mountains of East Tennessee.

To be honest, once we moved up here, it has been a constant vehicle upgrage, the 08 Mazda 3 got traded in on the 08 Sahara in March 09, when the vehicle got stuck in the driveway daily due to snow and ice. The 07 Ram 1500ST 2wd with four studded snow tires got traded for a 11 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab when it could ONLY make it up the driveway with 1,000lbs of sandbags in the bag.

Now the Tacoma gets far more use than the Wrangler does, but that might change when the wrangler gets new tires next spring when the snows come off next. As for mechanical issues, there have been NONE with the Tacoma....NONE.

The Jeep needed upgraded shocks out of the box, now it needs a brake job due to a warped rotor, it gone to the dealer repeated times, and they finally rebuilt the gear box due to popping out of gear. In our opinion, the Tacoma is a superior vehicle, and it actually cheaper. Gas mileage is the same, and the back seats of the Wrangler are terrible to get in and out of.

While we don't do trails (the 62 Dodge Military Power Wagon, M37 is our backwoods vehicle), we do drive on unpaved mountain roads almost every day...

Oh, both vehicles are still on stock rubber (with dedicated snows on rims for the winter), and we are looking forward to improvement with new aftermarket tires.

Howard

10. Aug 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am a former Jeep owner... and now I am on my 3rd 4WD OFF ROAD TACOMA (5 year leases) with a combined total of 268,000 miles driven...

These trucks are so good, I can't see ever driving anything else. The key is reliability... they don't break down and very little ever fails or needs fixing.

Tacoma #1 was a 2001 extra cab 4WD Off Road TRD:
    Nothing failed, and at 90,000 miles a drip from the water pump was seen, so it was replaced.

Tacoma #2 was a 2005 double cab 4WD Off Road:
    Brakes made intermittent noise when it was only 8,000 miles old and ended with new pads installed after a few more thousand miles.
    The rear springs were too soft and allowed the truck to bottom out with any passengers or bed load, when hitting bumps (I added Ride Rite Air Springs to solve that).
    The 'clock spring' wire harness failed and caused the air bag warning light to come on.

Tacoma #3 is a 2010 double cab 4WD Off Road:
    No problems, the rear springs don't need help like the '05 did and now at nearly 30,000 miles and is the best Tacoma yet...

My friend has a Jeep Rubicon, and after every trip to Baja he seems to have to fix something else. When I come back from a Baja trip, I use my truck to go to work the next day!

710Shell036_99bafe7bf515ed1a25a989b1f9b9fc8561c91446.jpg

11. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    IT'S A TRAP!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0?version=3

12. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Depending on what you do with it, expect to replace your wheel bearings every 4-5 years or so, and likely your front diff bearings are shot from factory.

13. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    1expensiveTaco

1expensiveTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6
  14. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    bradpenton

bradpenton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birchwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4WD
    Any one have problems with drive shaft balance or center bearing? Is going to a single peice drive shaft a good idea?

15. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    bradpenton

Member:
    Birchwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4WD
    Any down side to straight shaft?

16. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    SATXguy

SATXguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Mobtown Front Recovery bar Relentless Fab Bed bars (3) Quickfist 2 pair Husky Floor Liners Cali Raised bed channer stiffeners Cali Raised low profile ditch light bracket 27 watt ditch light pods w/ side projection OEM Ditch Light switch Roam Adventure Co. Roof top tent Roof top tent annex Costway 54 Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Compact Smittybilt 2789-99 Transit Bag NOCO GC019 12-Foot 12V Adapter Plug Socket Extension Cable Scoshe Magic Mount for Iphone plus Hypertech Speedometer calibrator BFG KO2 AT 265/75/16 JDMCar Center Console Organizer TRD pro Grill TRD PRO Grille Vinyl Decal Gloss Super White X-Bull Recovery Traction tracks 3rd gen CamPark ACT 74 Action Camera DC cargo 2" Diameter Black Steel V-Ring BoltOn Trailer Cargo Tie-Down CLC 1173 32 Pocket Socket Tool Roll Pouch Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor Toyota Accessories PT580-35050-SB Bed Mat for Select Tacoma Models Rhino USA shackle hitch receiver Toyota Accessories PT580-35050-SB Bed Mat for Select Tacoma Models Smittybilt 3x30 recovery strap 30,000 lb capacity Smittybilt 3/4" D-Ring Shackle (Black) 4.75 ton rating 12V 140 Amp Dual Battery Isolator by KeyLine Chargers - Voltage Sensitive Relay Gen 3 Tacoma Auxiliary Battery Tray
    The only problem I have with my 08 DC is the overhead temperature gauge is not 100% accurate and I have not been able to find a way to adjust or calibrate it. It is only for reading outside temperature. Then again it is not really that big of a deal.

17. Aug 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    bradpenton

Member:
    Birchwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4WD
    Im having problems with vibration and cant quite figure out if its coming from the center bearing or balance of drive shafts or both. By the time i get them both balanced.$160. Then have the center bearing bought $200 and pressed on $50. Im right about the same as having a new drive shaft made.

18. Aug 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    but the vibrations from the front diff after lifting can be replaced to fix the problem correct?

19. Aug 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Tacoma's are way more reliable, I am a Jeep man and love Jeeps but would take a Taco over a Jeep for a daily driver any day simply because of reliability and durability. Tacoma's are sturdy and tough trucks. My only complaint on mine so far is the squeaky leafs, but I am going to eventually do the bicycle tube trick to fix that.
    When browsing for a vehicle I was considering a Jeep Rubicon 4 door, but decided against it because the engine sucks and the quality of them are just not as good as a Toyota, plus the Tacoma had better safety ratings and better MPG ratings.

20. Aug 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    mpoirier

mpoirier Member

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    '08 tacoma trd off road
    rear tsb, 5100's at 1.75", weathertech floorliners, wet okole seat covers, 265/75 Goodyear wrangler authority
    Best answer ever. I laughed out loud sitting in a room all by myself dying of laughter.

Products Discussed in

To Top