Notices

CarMax Experiences

Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
samsonite is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
samsonite's Tacoma Gallery
CarMax Experiences

Hey there TW peeps!

I am in the market for a used Taco. After a fair amount of searching and researching I found the EXACT truck I want. However, I have never dealt with CarMax and I'm a little apprehensive.

My question is: Has anybody here had dealings with them? Looking for good and bad experiences and/or common pit-falls.

The truck is out of state so it looks like I'll be paying the transfer fee. Not really a problem, but a friend of mine had it waved almost without question.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
It's an easy, no-haggle experience but you pay a little more for the vehicle as a result.

Look closely for repaired collision damage.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from CarMax, everything was good. I couldn't get the transfer fee waved which sucked a little but oh well and don't get the Warranty from them, you can get it cheaper somewhere else. If you want the car but want to find a different payment plan they give you 3 days I think to look but if you dont find one cheaper you get what you signed up for at CarMax. if you have any more questions let me know all in all my experience was a good one
Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

That's been the general consensus. The vehicles cost more but it's convenient and simple. I've seen a few bad reviews but they seem to be more because the owners either didn't know what they wanted or weren't happy with their choice. Not really a CarMax problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Buell,

Thank you so much for responding! I already have my financing options worked out. Turns out my Credit Union is pretty hard to beat when it comes to financing.

I should have mentioned I will be trading in an '06 BMW. How are they on trade-in value?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
I had been on the dealership and almost bought one, sold before i could. They give you thier bottom price were honest had nothing to hide, unlike Right Toyota in Scottsdale AZ, DONT BUY A CAR THERE.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonite View Post
Buell,

Thank you so much for responding! I already have my financing options worked out. Turns out my Credit Union is pretty hard to beat when it comes to financing.

I should have mentioned I will be trading in an '06 BMW. How are they on trade-in value?
I didn't trade in a car so I'm not sure...I just kept saving till I had a solid Down Payment and then got lucky with finding my truck but couldn't be happier and see if your credit union has a warranty option, mine did and saved me $600 compared to the carmax warranty
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
mine cost less than KBB

I had an excellent experience...shipped my truck to my local carmax for free and financed me at a super rate considering i had never financed anything in my life

A couple years into the loan, some folks filed a class action suit for some fee that they were charging...somehow i was part of it

Carmax sent me a letter stating so and then a couple months later I received a check for like $350

I'd def buy from them again
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
I have sold 3 cars to carmax and bought one from them. They sell them for whats on the sticker, so no haggling or hassling. I can't speak for every region, but the dealerships around here use carmax as a benchmark for used car values. The local dealers will promise to beat carmax trade in values. I think that says alot about how fair carmax trade values are. I have seen lots of people get upset because they think the trade/sale value isn't what they think it should be. Just have to be realistic about the value of the trade and understand that they have to make a dollar too.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
...shipped my truck to my local carmax for free ...
How did you swing that? Was it offered or did you inquire?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
dont let them know you have a trade-in until you get a really good deal on the truck.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

at least back in 05...certain stores within a certain proximity to your local store didnt require $$$ to bring the vehicle to you
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
dont let them know you have a trade-in until you get a really good deal on the truck.
thats not the way carmax works

either you take the sticker price or not
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
thats not the way carmax works

either you take the sticker price or not
oh really... you cant deal with them?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go back to a carmax. My mother, father, and I wen't to a carmax to look for me a new car. I knew I wanted a truck or suv we talked about what I wanted then I walked 5 feet away a to look at a lin of suv's, 4runners xterrars, etc., and over heard the dealer ask my parents what our budget was they said around 10g. The man laughed in their faces and said "We ain't got nothing like that here" my dad shook his hand and we rode off. Needless to say we won't be going back to one any time soon around here.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
oh really... you cant deal with them?
nope

they post a price in the window...they tell you the KBB and the amount over/under KBB

If you dont like the price you can keep looking
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I loved my experience with them. Bought my wife's sequoia threw them. Haggle free, gave me top dollar from her old blazer and everyone was really nice. I would recommend carmax to everyone!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I wouldn't go back to a carmax... over heard the dealer ask my parents what our budget was they said around 10g. The man laughed in their faces and said "We ain't got nothing like that here" my dad shook his hand and we rode off. Needless to say we won't be going back to one any time soon around here.

Poor judgement on the salesman's part, yes. A bad mark for the company and a reason to ward potential customers away, no.

I don't want to start an argument but I have to state the facts here.

1) You wanted a truck/SUV
2) Your budget was 10K
3) From my research the only ~10k *vehicle* you'll find at a CarMax would be a higher mileage compact (Dodge Neon etc) or an older, higher mileage family car (Van etc).
3) I would expect a salesman to give a chuckle at the situation. However, I too would not approve.

Conclusion:
Sufficient research was not performed or the standards were too high.

Not really a problem with the franchise.

At any rate, thank you very much for your input. I am hoping that because I have the truck and financing worked out my transaction should be as smooth as possible.

Edit: I'd also like to include that it sounds like the salesman in your situation was young and inexperienced. I have noticed that it seems to be the starting place for aspiring salesman and women.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure may have been an isolated incident to this one guy. It has just put a bad taste in our mouth we were willing to go much higher with the prices. My standards were for it to have at least a v6, manual trans prefered, and 4 doors. I don't believe it's too high. We just happened to see a few tacoma's in the lot, which is what I wanted and have now and decided to pull in and look around. He had also been there awhile so not new, just a douche. He handled it all wrong, if for example he had said We don't have many cars that fit that price range rather than the way he did then I would probably be driving a diffrent truck then the one I have.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #20

Sadly there is no douche pre-screening available. LOL

I will be sure to update this thread with my experience. Hopefully it's positive. I try to maintain a douche-free zone.