1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone U/G 130A Alternator to NON TOW package..??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr.Tacoma, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    Mr.Tacoma

Mr.Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    toronto
    Vehicle:
    DoubleCab4x4
    TRD Exhaust, Side step bar & ARE cap
    Folks..Sure some may have u/g the NON tow package Tac with the 130A alternator for better juice to tow RV and stuff..if yes did you change the ALT fuse. Mine had a 90A bosch Alternator and got it changed to DENSO 130A rebuilt alternator. I have a 120A fuse and havent changed it..Tow package TACs come with 140A fuse i believe. I took it for a ride after the swap and so far no issues. :confused:

2. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In another thread here somewhere (recently) I mentioned that I would have no problem dropping in the higher-rated alternator as long as the main power wire and grounds were all heavy enough to safely take the max current. Someone said there was no difference between the main charging wires and grounds between trucks with the lower or higher capacity alternator.

If that's true, I'd have no problem changing the fuse to the higher rated amount, but just for my peace of mind I would personally verify that the wire is a heavy enough gauge to handle full rated current.

If for whatever reason you keep the 120A fuse with a 130A alternator installed, I'd make sure to keep several replacement 120A fuses on hand in case you started blowing them while the truck was under heavy electrical load.

Products Discussed in

To Top