Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RTT mounting options.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
TANK is on a distinguished road

TANK's Tacoma Gallery
Question RTT mounting options.

I'm toying with the idea of a Roof Top Tent, Im just not sure how I'd mount it. Any suggestions on Bed racks or possible mounting options
I have an access cab long bed.
Thanks
Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
This is how i mounted mine. Maybe it'll help you with ideas. You will love the RTT. We spent 3 weeks straight in ours this summer and it was great.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-pictures.html
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Thule Xsporter 422XT adjustable rack
Attached Thumbnails
RTT mounting options.-dsc00144.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Thule Xsporter 422XT adjustable rack
That's definitely a nice and easy option. Those racks seem real useful. Ive been happy with everything I've owned from thule.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
TANK is on a distinguished road

TANK's Tacoma Gallery
korslite I really like your bed rack, just don't know where I would find/if I could make one like that.
The Thule looks good to.. I called a local shop and they quoted approximately $650 (CAD) for the set up.

Would you suggest a rack mounted flush with the cabin over one mounted at bed rail height?
Thanks for the replies
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried both flush mounted and of course the Thule rack. I have a changing room for my mine so the tent has to be mounted high. If you decide to go flush mounted I have my INNO set up that mounts slides into the channels that holds the cleats for our trucks. It worked well for me but I needed to be up higher.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #7

As far as mounting height it totally depends on your personal preference. There are definitely advantages both ways. I went round and round trying to decide on the height of my rack. Sitting at bed rail height you will likely not lose any fuel economy but the useable space in the bed will suffer. On the other hand the more the RTT sticks up over can height the more of an affect it will have on your mpgs. I wanted to be able to open the cooler or our camp gear box without taking them out of the truck while still minimizing the drag of the tent. That's he compromise I tried to go with.

Money wise the thule is a great option if you aren't set up to make something yourself I think. I don't think most fab guys would make something similar to mine for $650. Labor is expensive when u get into custom fab. Plus you can use the thule for far more purposes.