1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RTT mounting options.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TANK, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Aug 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    TANK

TANK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TACOMA 6SPD 4WD E-Locker
    885 on 5100, dakar leaf pack, N182, BFG AT, colour match grill, Weather tech, Marathon Super-hide seat covers, Leer 100R w/Yakima rack, ROLA basket, sleeping platform, tailgate theft mod, Plasti-dip badges, bed liner: TRD skid/rear bumper, ABC extinguisher
    I'm toying with the idea of a Roof Top Tent, Im just not sure how I'd mount it. Any suggestions on Bed racks or possible mounting options:confused:
    I have an access cab long bed.
    Thanks

2. Aug 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
  3. Aug 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Thule Xsporter 422XT adjustable rack

DSC00144.jpg

4. Aug 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    That's definitely a nice and easy option. Those racks seem real useful. Ive been happy with everything I've owned from thule.

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    TANK

TANK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TACOMA 6SPD 4WD E-Locker
    885 on 5100, dakar leaf pack, N182, BFG AT, colour match grill, Weather tech, Marathon Super-hide seat covers, Leer 100R w/Yakima rack, ROLA basket, sleeping platform, tailgate theft mod, Plasti-dip badges, bed liner: TRD skid/rear bumper, ABC extinguisher
    korslite I really like your bed rack, just don't know where I would find/if I could make one like that.
    The Thule looks good to.. I called a local shop and they quoted approximately $650 (CAD) for the set up.

Would you suggest a rack mounted flush with the cabin over one mounted at bed rail height?
    Thanks for the replies

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I've tried both flush mounted and of course the Thule rack. I have a changing room for my mine so the tent has to be mounted high. If you decide to go flush mounted I have my INNO set up that mounts slides into the channels that holds the cleats for our trucks. It worked well for me but I needed to be up higher.

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    As far as mounting height it totally depends on your personal preference. There are definitely advantages both ways. I went round and round trying to decide on the height of my rack. Sitting at bed rail height you will likely not lose any fuel economy but the useable space in the bed will suffer. On the other hand the more the RTT sticks up over can height the more of an affect it will have on your mpgs. I wanted to be able to open the cooler or our camp gear box without taking them out of the truck while still minimizing the drag of the tent. That's he compromise I tried to go with.

Money wise the thule is a great option if you aren't set up to make something yourself I think. I don't think most fab guys would make something similar to mine for $650. Labor is expensive when u get into custom fab. Plus you can use the thule for far more purposes.

Products Discussed in

To Top