1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bug Guts damaged my paint !!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco93, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    Maguir's Scratch Remover may do the trick

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    gassman

gassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD 4x4
    3'' lift, TRD exhaust, Bilstiens, PIAAx4 with N-Fab light bar
    Well if it makes u feel any better. I hauked a lugie out the window while driving and it got on paint and left ugly snot imprint

3. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Meguiar's Snot Remover should take that right off.

4. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Bugs and certain plants can't ruin your paint, especially for darker colors for some reason (get a chemist to explain that). Particularly Crepe Myrtles, the flowers have some sort of chemical reaction with paint that will stain blacks/darks. There is a fig tree at my work that I learned not to park under because when that sap gets on your truck and you let it sit, it bubbles that paint.
    [​IMG]
    I guess the main point of my story, the underlying theme is you should wash your truck often, especially when something like bugs or sap get on it.

5. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    I had the same problem on the bumper of a white car once. Bug and Tar
    remover by hand wouldn't touch it. I then used a Porter Cable polisher and
    the same bug and tar remover. Took it right off.

6. Aug 19, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    have an "11 black dc also. when i bought it, my salesman asked if i was interested in their "paint protection film". it's a clear urethane that's fairly unnoticeable when applied. op, if you look on your taco, you may see a small amount factory applied just in front of the rear wheels on the rocker panel and just forward of that on the cab itself (there is on mine). it was pretty pricey so i declined, but after reading this thread i may have to reconsider:confused:

7. Aug 19, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Ask anyone who lives in Florida if bugs ruin paint, and they will scream Love Bugs do! Love bugs or many bugs left on for a two day trip, with the summer sun could lead to paint issues. I make it a point to wash off bugs while fresh all the time now while on the road. Use the window cleaner/squeege at the gas station, etc.

As mentioned, the clay bar seems to work unless its etched into or thru the clear coat. I had gone thru a bad bug storm with left bugs all over the front of the my truck after a 3 day trip. When I got home, I could not get them off. I tried everything, bug removers, paint cleaners, etc and nothing seemed to get the tough ones off until I tried the clay bar. But I still could not get rid of a couple of spots which seemed get thru the clear coat? But with all the buffing they are hardly noticed. I read later someone used "Goo Gone" and they claimed it worked well with bug spot issues, but I have not gone back to try it on the few tough spots I had.
    One thing, if you keep up on the wax, especially the front areas this will help alot. Bug acid has to go thru the wax coating first before it can ruin your paint. The Love bugs get bad 2 times a year in Florida, for about 2 weeks or so. I have heard some guys spray pam non stick on the front of their trucks during this time so bugs will not stick. I think I would be worried about the non stick hurting the paint myself...

Keep the bugs off!:D

8. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
    You are exactly right. I just traded an '05 black pearl in & the front bumper was splattered with white spots where bugs had hit & stuck. Once the bug splatter & residue was removed, a white "stain" in the paint remained in the exact pattern of the splatter. NO MATTER what product you use, it will not work...because there is nothing there to remove!
    I too took mine to the dealer (when it was under warranty) & they explained that this was not covered. So I jsut learned to live with it

9. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    That sucks, mine has white spots, on the hood too, but its a 95 and im guessing previous owner didnt clean them immediatly either. Buts its getting painted soon, only reason it isnt bothering me.

10. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    09_tacoma

09_tacoma Forever at a crossroads

Member:
    First Name:
    Mylene
    North Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco V6 4x4 DLCB TRD Sport
    Headlights, Exhaust, grill, Kings all around resi suspension. Camburg UCA's, Clarion double din
    I used to wash mine all the time, but I do alot of trips between New Brunswick and Ontario (17 hours straight drive) even sitting for a day or two with bugs on it was too late, damage was done. I'm sorry but when I see sunset to sunrise in the same day (long daylight ie; summer) there's no way I feel like scrubbing a pound of bugs when I get to my destination. So I've come to not care as much, paint has already been affected, repaint will be done in time.

11. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    run it through an auto car wash maybe...atleast loosen them up maybe, but i feel ya on that, those kind of drives suck.

12. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    good info in this post. Maybe this is why hot water works so well for me-I am constantly waxing the hell out of my truck, and the bugs always come right off with hot water and a terri cloth. Not one bug stain either.

13. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    09_tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mylene
    North Pole
    Vehicle:
    Headlights, Exhaust, grill, Kings all around resi suspension. Camburg UCA's, Clarion double din
    hehehehe, my hometown has about 2K people living there, no such thing for about 40 miles ;)

14. Aug 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    [​IMG]
    I use one of these ~$3 at walmart the mesh part on top will scrape away the bug guts without hurting your paint so long as it's nice and wet. Gunk!'s bug and tar remover work for me. I haven't used a clay bar on any of the vehicles I wash so I can't speak first hand but I want to get one soon. If it has pitted the clear coat on top you could sand it down a little bit with very fine sandpaper wet sanding it like an 400 then 800 then clay bar and hazing and buffing style wax not like the Meguires spray wax which is what I use in between my hazing waxes.

15. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Taco93

Taco93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Weathertech Floor Liners
    This is the destination route I took as well but it was to NFLD and back. I bought the claybar stuff but it didn't touch the marks. I know it is etched into the paint, I'm gonna try and see if I can just get the hood and window poles painted, maybe they can blend it in some how. I'm not to sure how well they can blend black...I had my old silver tacos rear fender repainted and they blended the silver into the access doors and I couldn't even notice...we'll see what happens..

16. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    I have the same situation with my corvette. Been on a few road trips trought rockys. Also goto seattle a lot. After time you can see the bugs, not rocks have actually damaged the paint on the front bumper. There is a big difference from bugs and rocks. I have been using Rubbing Compound on my truck lately, seemes to help the scratches. Thats the price we pay living in canada.

17. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Dryer sheets! No joke

18. Aug 20, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    OK I want to know about this !!!!!

What kind, procedure, and why does it work!!!!!

19. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:39 AM
    09_tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mylene
    North Pole
    Vehicle:
    How do you like highway 20 between Montreal and Riviere-du-loup?? :rolleyes: I despise that stretch of road :frusty: :goingcrazy:

20. Aug 20, 2011 at 5:42 AM
    toyoTRDtaco

toyoTRDtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab TRD Sport
    E front of my bumper if virtually gone. It is so pitted and faded. The previous owner must have never waxed it.

Products Discussed in

To Top