1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas is cheap again! I can buy super!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by linkfeeney, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    Gas regular today is $2.39 and super it was $2.79, i filled it up with super!!! Awesome!!! But opec wants to cut production again to bring the price up!!! Wtf man!!

2. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    They cut production by 1.5 million barrels yesterday but oil still went down $3.69/barrel. OPEC can KMA!

Gas is $2.15 in Georgetown SC right now. We will see gas below $1.99, just like I've predicted all year. I'm just curious as to where all the naysayers are now, the ones who kept saying we'd never see $3.00/gallon again. Come out, come out of hiding, I know you're out there!

;)

3. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    OPEC would have to STOP production to get a rise outta prices.
    Simple economics says that the demands has decreased, so to maintain prices supply must be controlled. Cut production and prices go up again.

HOWEVER- The decrease in demand is based in a contracting economy. People have less to spend and therefore go out less and plan trip better. (It's a bit of hold out from gas being so high too...I still find myself mapping out all the errands I have to do to try and be efficient about it) So there is less to go around...Eventually it'll get to a point that will hold static cause no one will have the money to go out-
    but for now...Prices might stabilize....but my guess is they'll continue to drop.

4. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Well that's exactly it and that's what I've been saying all along. Prices rise, demand decreases, supply increases, and prices drop. As you say, simple economics. I'm just curious as to why so many folks were out there screaming about the end of the world, the sky falling, place additional analogies here: ____________.

5. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well....If this while economic meltdown hadn't happened gas would still be high...but that what if is like a fart in a hurricane.

I'm just glad it's doing what it's doing...Makes my Taco happy to have mid grade...and my bike loves the cheaper top fuel stuff.

6. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hell freezing over....donkeys doin the backstroke, hillary becoming president!!!:D

7. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    True, but anyone paying attention could see a long way off the economy would go into the crapper. The housing bubble was no different than the dot.com bubble or any other.

I agree, though, because gas prices affect everyone immediately. I mean, I won't need my 401k for many years but I have to buy gas tomorrow.

8. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    LOL! I heard a good, unrelated, one today: Your gene pool needs some chlorine.

9. Oct 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    haha....awesome!!

10. Oct 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    $2.15 in south carlina??? WTF!! i need to leave NJ, but where am I going to find jobs down in the deep south?!

11. Oct 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I was one who thought high gas prices would be around for awhile. I think the prices will come down a little more, then start their climb back up. If Mr Obama gets elected and does indeed tax the crap the oil companies as he said, they will surely pass those increases on to us customers.

12. Oct 25, 2008 at 9:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya. As you know, I lived the first 29 years of my life in NJ and I found a good job here doing exactly what I did in NJ, working in the insurance industry except this time for a government contractor. Of course, that means I'm screwed twice: once because wages are lower here and another because govt. contractors don't pay well. But, I do OK. There are jobs but the better ones are in the larger cities like Charleston, of course.

13. Oct 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    That is a very true statement. I think they'll sink more but then creep up slightly, I agree. It depends on how quickly the economy recovers. Unfortunately, when the economy is good it typically means prices will go up.

14. Oct 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Well the prices were low under Clinton and the economy was decent at the time. The world demand for oil is a lot higher these days. I think another reason gas shot through the roof in the Summer was definitely China hording oil for the Olympics, plus the greedy speculators anticipating a shortage when we are starting to hear there was no true shortage. I think any politician should notice the downturn of the economy was truly noticeable when the prices sharply inclined...we truly need to focus on energy dependence. Also with prices going dwon I'm afraid more people will go back to their old ways (not worrying about taking trips, buying gas guzzlers again) and prices will go up accordingly. Penalizing the oile companies on their profits will not help....

15. Oct 25, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    No, it won't, but too many people have this "evil rich" mentality and don't realize that those "evil rich" folks are the ones providing the jobs, plus the fact that businesses do not pay taxes because they pass it on to the consumer. They also don't realize that 40% of oil company stock is owned by middle class folks like me via pension plans and the like. China hording oil was one of the things I harped on all summer but when people are paying out their butts for gas, it falls on deaf ears so they naturally blame the guy in the White House which is easy because most people don't understand basic business principles such as supply and demand or how a free market economy works.

16. Oct 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    1.99 here in SD

17. Oct 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I read that for a sec... and almost fell over, yelling in my head "WHERE?!".

Then I looked at your location, and saw that you meant South Dakota, and not San Diego. Then I cried.

18. Oct 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    Drewster

Drewster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09' Pyrite Mica V6 TRD Off-Road
    BugDeflectorII, Tube Steps
    finally getting as low as 2.83 here in oregon

19. Oct 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    True, but if gas hadn't gotten so high, the economic meltdown might not be happening (or at least not so bad) in the first place.

20. Oct 26, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    The economic meltdown was going to happen. Mr Bernake predicted it the beginning of the year that the US was headed for a recession. The high oil prices this summer was just a catalyst to get the ball rolling. If the prices didn't rise, the housing market collapse would of eventually triggered the economic crisis we are experiencing right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top