Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Alarms

Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Alarms

Some a**-hole broke into my truck last week. I only have the keyless entry system without the factory alarm.

Now, here is the question: Aside from cleaning out the garage and parking in there now and blowing the dust off my Smith & Wesson...I called toyota and they offer the "factory" alarm for $350 and said that instructions come with it. Has anyone here attempted this upgrade/install. Does anyone have comments about Toyota alarm over, say a aftermart alarm (Code, Whistler, etc). Come on I know we must have a few tech-geeks here

Thanks guy/gals
Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Get a good 2-way paging alarm. Viper, CompuStar, Clifford.

A good alarm is money well spent. Don't get a cheap alarm.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
anakin008 is on a distinguished road
anakin008's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with Clifford.
It seems to be the best on the market.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

You better check out a CompuStar too. I've had 2 of them. I have no complaints. I can check on my truck with the LCD screen 2-way remote, and also start the engine from almost a mile away.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
I found something better!
http://www.ravelco.com/
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Mod Master

That stuff is crap. That is just a starter disable do-dad. You don't want thieves to even be able to get inside your truck. Once inside they can steal lots of good stuff. Stereo, CDs, garage door opener, etc.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
That stuff is not crap. Read the web site.
There is nothing in the world that can protect your stuff in your truck. If they want it, they will get it.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #8
Mod Master

I am/was a MECP certified professional alarm and stereo installer. That might be a useful deterent in stealing the entire vehicle, but what about the interior of the vehicle? I have about $5k worth of stereo/multimedia equipment in my truck.

Alarms are mainly deterents. If the thief sees that you have a real quality security system then 99% of the time he will pass up your vehicle and move on to the next car. Keeping a thief from even getting inside the vehicle is the best route. Once they get inside they'll take your stuff and tear your car to peices.

A 2-way paging alarm is the way to go. If anybody even bumps my truck I'll know about it immediately, as long as I'm within a 1 mile range of my vehilce, which most of the time I am.

And even if the thief was able to bypass the engine immobilizer and the alarms' ignition kill then I would still be able to track the vehicle via satellite with my CompuTrack system. This would be the only way to recover your car if the theives are real serious and they decide to just tow it away.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
stinger86 is on a distinguished road
stinger86's Tacoma Gallery
You want the best anti-car jacking system you can get? Check this out lol
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
irvinec32 is on a distinguished road
irvinec32's Tacoma Gallery
my dealer insisted that after-market alarms will void your electrical warranty. is there any truth to that? i heard somewhere that generally voiding your warranty is not legal, they have to prove that your aftermarket modification caused the problem.

but still, i would rather not fight with the dealer on the topic. we all know they can be a pain to deal with.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I am shocked that nobody has suggested trunk monkey. I guess lack of trunk will hurt the stealth factor.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I am shocked that nobody has suggested trunk monkey. I guess lack of trunk will hurt the stealth factor.
Trunk monkey is hilarious!!! I laugh just saying the name
Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
Banned
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Trunk monkey is hilarious!!! I laugh just saying the name
I used to have a stuffed monkey in my car trunk when that came out...had lots of fun with it. For my Taco I think I ask if I can tie my neighbors Boxer up in the bed
Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
what year truck do you have
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ess-entry.html
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Banned
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 2006 DBL cab
Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Sneakers is on a distinguished road
Sneakers's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Theft Deterrent

Would this work? Might be a little hard on the paint though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U...ymore_mine.jpg
Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinec32 View Post
my dealer insisted that after-market alarms will void your electrical warranty. is there any truth to that? i heard somewhere that generally voiding your warranty is not legal, they have to prove that your aftermarket modification caused the problem.

but still, i would rather not fight with the dealer on the topic. we all know they can be a pain to deal with.
this is true and you should read your warranty paper and it's limitations some contracts can be downright ugly like for example: when the maintenance light has been on for more than 3 days will void your warranty. a friend of mine told me that she had to replace her stock parts in order for her vehicle to be serviced by the dealership so her warranty won't void. every state is different so check your papers. hope this helps
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear that audible. well i still have my clifford alarm collecting dust but i have to go to tampa to get it installed. so far i have a kill switch on "Diva" so i have to do 'something' in order to start my vehicle. so with all the electrical upgrade i have on her. let me tell you when i had my supra years ago (with $10,000 worth of upgrades) i would not thought that my alarm installer would steal it. i mean this guy works at the dealership where i purchased my car. needless to say when you purchase your aftermarket alarm make sure you are careful who installs it. hope fully your vehicle would not end up like mine's.