LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Check engine light w/ the little traction control light came on..

Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
twistax will become famous soon enough

twistax's Tacoma Gallery
Check engine light w/ the little traction control light came on..

Anyone had this before?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
iowa530 will become famous soon enoughiowa530 will become famous soon enough
iowa530's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't had this in my Tacoma, but I did have it in my 99 Camry. Most anything that throws the check engine light will cause the traction control function to shut off. I think this is because the traction control uses some engine braking/ decreasing rpms, etc... In the case of my Camry, the CEL was caused by a problem with an emission control (circuit malfuction in the charcoal canister). Solve the CEL issue and the trac control light should go off.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Got that combination on a rainy day after a lane change. After a couple of starts it went away. Still under warranty, so went to dealer who diagnosed brake light switch at the brake pedal as the problem and replaced it - diagnostics from freeze frame data in ECU.

Actually think problem was aftermarket trailer wiring and adaptor gone tits up - noticed strange lighting happening with the trailer where previously worked fine. Bit the bullet and bought the official Toyota harness (at the official Toyota price) and no problems since. A lot of different functions run on similar wiring circuits to save manufacturing costs, so one little thing wrong can screw up a lot of others.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Engine and abs/trac go hand in hand sharing inputs. So the trac light comes on because it will no longer accept a possible wrong input.

Reg and iowa are correct and i always suggest like in Reg's case factory trailer harnesses. I take out way to many aftermarket because of those issues.

Nice to see a site that passes on real world info with the correct conclusion.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came on after I sea foamed the engine, I was wondering why the trac light came on with it, then I figured it was because of the previously stated. I knew why my light came on so I just diconected the battery to reset it. But if you have something real, just take it to an auto zone or parts retail store like it and have them check your code if you don't own a code reader. They'll do it for free, cuz they wanna sell you the parts. Let us know what it is.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Happened a few years ago to me and It was an o2 sensor
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
HighLow is on a distinguished road
Marines: not active
HighLow's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation traction light on

Check engine and traction control lights on. Its definitely not working. Almost wrecked truck yesterday as I lost control on a snow covered road. I will have to slow down until I get this fixed. Quessing I was carrying too much weight in bed that may have set it off?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
HighLow is on a distinguished road
Marines: not active
HighLow's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb traction light on

Seems it was a loose gas cap on mine. Check that first. Light went off after 10 miles. Traction control working now.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Strange things happen in new vehicles, systems are so interrelated. Case In point but not On a Tacoma. Installing LED 1157 style bulbs in my wife's 09 Hyundai ET caused the ESC and cruise to mal function. Had a TSB for the brake light switch performed and the dealer ordered a new cruise control module. Problem reappeared, a light went on in the dark recesses on my feeble brain that the problem originally appeared after replacing a burned out stop light with the LEDs so I replaced them with incandescents and voila! ESC and cruise are functioning. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
This happened to me today, went back home disconnected the battery, backed up 4 feet and it turned on again. So trip to the dealer I guess
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
This happened to me today, went back home disconnected the battery, backed up 4 feet and it turned on again. So trip to the dealer I guess
go to a local parts store first and see if they'll read the codes. not sure if that'll work in canuckistan.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Tire pressure also play major role on VSC and Check Engine Light , check those first make sure your tire pressure up to the specific requirement, if that did not work disconnect the negative battery and leave it about 15 minute or so..it's works for me
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

No tpms in my wheels been like that for a year plus. Going to disconnect for 15, the truck drives fine
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had these lights come on

It was a loose gas cap

The code was an Fuel Evap System fault
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #15

Just did 15 didn't work, I also cleaned the maf. It has to be a sensor or something stupid.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #16
biborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to behold
Name: Stephen
biborado's Tacoma Gallery
This happens to me every so often. Do you have a Bluetooth OBD scanner plugged in? I tracked my light down to having my Bluetooth OBD ELM tool plugged into the OBD port... Seems like there is a conflict when it's plugged in. Happens once every month or so. Goes away on its own after two or three trips.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
Just did 15 didn't work, I also cleaned the maf. It has to be a sensor or something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
go to a local parts store first and see if they'll read the codes. not sure if that'll work in canuckistan.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
for the engine code,try to get the code pulled. I know checking the gas cap is always unlikely to be the source of the problem,but in these tacomas i think there is a problem with our caps. Especially if you are not experiencing too many symptoms,then it most likely is a loose gas cap releasing ?hydrocarbons?. Im not too sure about the traction control light,but you may have to get the YAW sensor recalibrated. That happened to my friends 03 4runner and that fixed his problem. Good luck
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Noted going to get them pulled now
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #20

Gave me a oxygen code so it could be the sensor or wiring, the tech said it is usually the sensor