Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Maint Reqd light won't reset on my 2011

Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Maint Reqd light won't reset on my 2011

I changed the oil and have been trying to reset it and can't get it to work.

I'm setting the odometer to actual mileage, taking the key out, holding down the reset knob and putting the key in and setting it to the on position. I've tried holding the knob down for 5 seconds, 30 seconds and then a minute or so and nothing. What the hell am I doing wrong? I've tried doing it different ways and nothing works.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
From elsewhere on TW.com...

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure
Old 08-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
the 11's need trip A showing instead of the odo. If you have the white cluster.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
From elsewhere on TW.com...

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure

I saw that, and I've been trying it. It's not working. I'm wondering if they possibly changed it for the 2011. Or maybe something is wrong with mine.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
Awesome, thanks! I set it to trip A and it worked.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blkbelt42's Tacoma Gallery
does it flash for an oil change or stay on steady? mine is just ON,
not flashing.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It flashes when you start the engine but turns off after a bit when you are at 4500 miles, stays on all the time when you hit 5000 miles and flashes all the time when you go over 5500ish.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It flashes when you start the engine but turns off after a bit when you are at 4500 miles, stays on all the time when you hit 5000 miles and flashes all the time when you go over 5500ish.
Hmm, I'm at 6k right now and it's on solid. Going out to
start it to see if it flashes....

EDIT: stays on solid.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
Hmm, I'm at 6k right now and it's on solid. Going out to
start it to see if it flashes....
Oh I wasn't sure about the mileage. I'm ready to change the oil as the 5000 mark comes up.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
suggestion sent to the big bosses, that this be added to the first page of http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t.html#post528

if in fact u guys arent pulling our legs , thats good info and could help ppl in the future, obviously it woulda helped the OP sooner.
one of the mods added it...thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Quote:
Oh I wasn't sure about the mileage. I'm ready to change the oil as the 5000 mark comes up.
that's why I thought it was odd that it was solid and not
flashing, hope it's not an issue this soon!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Mine never goes to flashing... I changed my oil about ~3500 miles before heading home from AZ earlier this year and forgot to re-set the light. Drove about 2000 over 5000 and it only stayed solid.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Mine never goes to flashing... I changed my oil about ~3500 miles before heading home from AZ earlier this year and forgot to re-set the light. Drove about 2000 over 5000 and it only stayed solid.
Hmm. I thought I read someone that it started flashing. All well. If I was designing the warning system I would make it flash and beep at you.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Hmm. I thought I read someone that it started flashing. All well. If I was designing the warning system I would make it flash and beep at you.
That would have driven me completely the light was bad enough. I had changed the oil, just forgot to do the light
Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
That would have driven me completely the light was bad enough. I had changed the oil, just forgot to do the light
I'm just a little evil like that.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
I'm just a little evil like that.
that would definitely be EVIL!!!! You'd probably have people just re-set the light and forget about the oil
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
that would definitely be EVIL!!!! You'd probably have people just re-set the light and forget about the oil
Lol. I may be evil but I'm honest.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Why in the hell would Tonka change the light reset from total mileage to trip? That seems like a dumb thing to do for no apparent reason at all.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacologist View Post
Why in the hell would Tonka change the light reset from total mileage to trip? That seems like a dumb thing to do for no apparent reason at all.
Toyota is probably like the company I work for. They hire all these morons and throw whatever title at them. When the question if they guy does anything he changes something stupid like ODO to trip A around so he keeps getting his $250K a year.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
skratch is on a distinguished road
skratch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for this! been following the instructions in the manual and it wasn't working, searched and found this and it worked first time after setting it to Trip A. TW is so much more helpful than the dealership or manual. Thanks again.