Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is paint chipping a problem on Tacomas??

Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nolazach's Tacoma Gallery
Is paint chipping a problem on Tacomas??

Mine had two little chips on the fender flares. After some hard driving and a 1400 mile journey, I had most of the paint missing off these two panels.

I'm not sure if the factory or dealer painted it, but the panels were never prepped properly for paint. So I'm going to have all four re-done. But I was curious if others had similar problems..

TIA
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I think the paint on my Tacoma is better than other new cars that I have / had. My MS3 chips if anyone even stares at it. My Scion tC was pretty bad too. If I had any complaint about paint on this truck it'd be the weak ass paint they used on the frame.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Anywhere paint has been damaged, there was a very good reason and paint would've been damaged on any vehicle.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Nolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shedNolazach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Anywhere paint has been damaged, there was a very good reason and paint would've been damaged on any vehicle.

I get that, but I think I just need to post some pics.

I'll go take them now.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Bajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the rough
Bajones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supataco View Post
Honestly I think the paint on my Tacoma is better than other new cars that I have / had. My MS3 chips if anyone even stares at it. My Scion tC was pretty bad too. If I had any complaint about paint on this truck it'd be the weak ass paint they used on the frame.
LOL, my Mazda 3 chipped so damn easy, looked like crap after 3 years.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajones View Post
LOL, my Mazda 3 chipped so damn easy, looked like crap after 3 years.
Omg right? My MS3 is black and it looks horrible now. I plan to repaint it eventually.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen any problems. The paint low down is very thick and has a bit or an orange peel look, but most other Toyotas I have seen look the same.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
I do get tons of tiny chip marks. I have gone over my truck a few times with a paint pen, trying to cover up all the little chips. Then i just find more after a few weeks. I get them in pretty random spots too. I personally feel like it chips far too easy.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

Okay. Took some pics...

Just bought this thing last week, the only problem I had was the paint chipping, the guy I bought it from said he would fix it for free, but it would take four days. As I had flown to Denver and took a bus to the dealership; this was my ride, and I didn't want to let the paintwork stop me from my vacation, and didn't want to rent a car.

So this is Before the 2000 mile drive and the pressure washer(which killed it)

And Now the After.... What it looks like today. Had it looked like this at the dealer, sure I would have had it painted. But I'm really not upset, these panels won't cost much to paint. ANd I still got a deal on the truck. But it just looks funky showing off my "new" truck and it having panels like this.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
That's the first taco I've seen like that. Mine look perfect at 70k miles
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #15

I was thinking he had the black panels and had them painted to match when he added the camper top, but the dealer sticker clearly states that the truck came with body matched fender flares.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolazach View Post
I was thinking he had the black panels and had them painted to match.....
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #17

Yeah I'm not liking it. But I'm just telling everyone that it was the back country trails in the Rockies and all the gravel roads at 60mph in New Mexico that killed my paint.
lol

This will be my first "mod", I had a stereo fix in mind, but after learning how to add an aux port and some other tips here, I can spend that money getting some parts painted. Really won't cost much, usually $100 or so a panel.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Did they make the Rugged Trails for the OP's model year? If so, this looks like one that someone touched up and either had the flares matched, or maybe had the whole truck painted and it was originally a different color.

OP, there is a rear locker on this truck, correct? Just making sure it is a real off-road. If there is, my guess is it is a touched up Rugged Trail.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Those have been repainted or replaced and painted at some time. Shop or person painting them did not prep the surfaces correctly. Just shoddy work.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #20
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Man that sucks BIG time, i dont think ANY car supposed to do that especially since its a new truck, i think like some of the other members said, they never prep those pieces properly, im wondering now if other Taco owners have had the same problem since most dealers paint pieces in batches rather then singly for each truck.