1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover, which one is best.

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Tigahshark, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark [OP] Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    I searched a little on this site about Tonneaus covers and really didnt find what i was looking for, im looking for comparisons to different kinds of tonneaus covers, why you like your specific tonneau and what you dont like about it(if any) our Taco is my wifes one really so i am in the market for a tonneau so that she can utilize the bed space as a trunk. I have looked at the soft roll up kine and the hard snug lid type and was wondering what advantages OR disadvantages these types of covers have on a daily basis with work, kids just the daily life. I really hate to buy a cover and then shit i should have bought the other one, just wanna be a little more informed, cause the company web sites and fliers make all there covers sound good, i wanna hear from the actual users, i know every application and life style is different just want the most info i can get, mahalo! oh and pictures would be great too:)

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
  3. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have a Truxedo Lo-Pro and I am happy with it. I have always liked the roll up ones, because I often find myself hauling something that is taller than say, 2 feet or whatever the hell that is. If you have a hard cover, good luck with that! The only thing I don't like about mine is the fact that it is about 2 inches too wide. I don't get the best contact with the velcro sometimes, because I have to stretch it out so far to keep it tight.

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Mason04

Mason04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR 4x4, 17 4runner TRD OR 4x4, 75 FJ40, 94 4x4
    Pace Edwards electric bedlocker FTW!

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    I have an Access rollup,I like it,and it was really easy to install

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    The lazy mans tonneau cover FTW! lol you do lose a decent amount of bed space with these though unfortunately...

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    I have an Undercover Tonneau (hard-topped) and I like it a lot.

It's easy to remove by yourself and is more waterproof than the roll-up ones. It also locks to turn the entire bed into a large locking trunk. The only major problem I have faced is that you can't just take it off and throw it in the bed if you want to. So if you see that couch on the side of the road you really want, you can't just stop and grab it.

[​IMG]

I installed a Yakima Track System on mine and a Load Warrior basket, too.

[​IMG]

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    I've got the xTang Full Tilt and I like it a lot. I'd rather have an undercover because it's more durable and secure. But I got mine for $50 on craigslist so I couldn't pass it up. It's really easy to remove and put back, you can take the vinyl off if you need to, but it doesn't snap-on, instead it has struts like a trunk. Best tonneau cover $50 can buy!

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
  10. Aug 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My dad just bought a tri-fold tonneau cover for his GMC. I think the brand is "Rugged Brand". It fastens down with 4 regular clamps and 2 safety clamps. You can take it completely off in about a minute. You don't have to deal with any snaps or velcro. The cover has a 7 year warranty and the mechanics of it has a lifetime warranty. Cost $329. He's only had it for about 2 weeks and likes it alot.

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I have an undercover as well and love it. I have started leaving it off most of the time, but it's very nice to be able to put it on to waterproof & secure my stuff for road trips.

It doesn't roll up like the soft covers, obviously, but I'm OK with that. If I need to haul something, I always know in advance and can simply remove it (comes off in a minute, literally).

In exchange, it seals better (100% waterproof) and actually keeps people from stealing stuff from your bed.

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    i too have the undercover hard tonneau . havent really had anything i dislike about it. everything the others said ill agree with. i had soft covers before,they are nice but not secure so things could get stolen. i also had a fiberglass tonneau. this was heavy and where the cover curved on the edge it started to show cracks in the finish. hope that helps

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    arcticfire3326

arcticfire3326 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    i have the undercover and i love it. one of the best things about it is that it is pretty light wight so one person can take it off and put it back on.

14. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Wow mahalo for all the responses, i dont know if all the info was good or bad lol seems like when you have to many choices it becomes harder :confused: nah its a good thing, i didnt take into consideration stuff that is higher then your bed wall when you have a hard tonneau cover like one of you guys mentioned, or the fact that some of the soft roll type ones arent to water proof? my wife needs something that is somewhat water proof, easy to open or easy to open with the tail gate down? if thats possible, i guess it wouldnt need to be too secure as in lock it up and nobody can steal stuff i guess more out of site out of mind kind of deal, its really just to hold like groceries, shopping bags/stuff(you know women) or just to store stuff instead of putting it in the cab. Looks like she needs something more like a soft roll up type?

And another thing, what about those bed rugs so that all the crap that she does put in there wont slide around on the plastic bed floor, are they any good or is it jus better to get one of those bed dividers or that bed extender and put it backwards?

15. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    I absolutely LOVED my Undercover Classic hardcover. You can mount baskets, rails, tie downs, tire racks etc to the lid

16. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Was wondering, that undercover tonneau cover i see in black in the pics that you guys posted, is that the only color or is that the best color for that type of cover cause paint chips and cracks?

17. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    It's the only cover I've seen, undercoverinfo.com might have a better idea...

From the FAQ:
    "6. Are all of your covers paintable? [Top] [Index] A. Yes, all of our covers are paintable. The UnderCover SE Smooth is designed to be painted, for more info on this cover scroll down to the next FAQ section. If you choose to paint one of our textured covers please understand that the texture may have some effect on the color."

"1. Does the cover come painted? A. No, the UnderCover comes in a smooth finish that is ready to be painted.

2. How do I get the cover painted? View Larger A. We have dealers across the U.S. and internationally. If you purchase the cover from them, they will take care of the paint process for you. If you purchase the cover from an online dealer, take the cover to the auto body paint shop of your choice and have the cover painted to match your truck. Contact our customer service team if you need help locating a local shop. 3. Does the cover have to be painted? A. Yes, the finish does not have any UV protection on it without being painted. Without an automotive paint finish applied, the cover is susceptible to sun fade and degradation. You can, however, use it for a short period of time prior to getting it painted, if needed.

4. Fiberglass covers come painted, why would I buy this instead? A. UnderCovers are much lighter, half the weight in most cases. UnderCovers are stronger than fiberglass. UnderCovers remove and reinstall in just seconds. UnderCovers are available from most dealers in just days instead of weeks. UnderCovers fit much more precise than fiberglass. "

18. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    TWLTRD11

TWLTRD11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I have the G4 Fold-a-Cover from Truck Alterations. It has been great so far. Slight leak from direct water pressure on the middle fold but that is rare. Installation was a little slow due to making sure the mounting strips on the bed were straight. Overall, the cover has really served it purpose to haul golf clubs and similar items with security. I have folded it all the way back and moved some stuff as well. No problems either way. Only thing is that my tailgate doesnt lock and I will be fixing that soon. Get compliments on the cover all the time!

19. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Mahalo for that info! i think right now its between the undercover and the soft roll up type.

20. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    i would go with the soft roll up type. yeah its easier to rip open and steal shit from ur bed but its also easier to use the bed. my buddy had a hard cover and hates leaving it opened up when something big is in the back. theres one from tonnosport that u shaped so theres nothing going across the tailgate also

Products Discussed in

To Top