Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To Remove Blanks From Center Console?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
How To Remove Blanks From Center Console?

hey, I want to remove those blanks to do the USB modd for my iPhone, but I don't see how to get the blanks out.

Can someone tell me where to push / pinch / pull to remove trim so I can get those things out?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
screwdriver, they just pop out.

You might nick them a bit, but once you put them back in you cant even tell.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
hey, I want to remove those blanks to do the USB modd for my iPhone, but I don't see how to get the blanks out.
Not familiar with the USB mob but are you going to dispose of the blanks when you install the mod? The reason I ask as I'm looking for a set of the under console blanks in good condition so if you want to sell them you potentially have a buyer.

Now, how to get them out the best way I found is using a thin strip of metal that you place as a brace along the base of the blank and then carefully prying a wide, flat and thin screwdriver under the edge. The metal piece is to avoid damaging the surrounding plastic.

Overall the easiest way of removing them without damaging them is going in from the back but with the center console that is impossible unless you take off the surrounding plastic. The easiest way of removing them with damaging them is to use a drill and put a hole in the middle, then just use a sturdy wire hook to pull them out.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Take your coin tray out. Then stick your finger up there and pop it out from behind.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
plurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
plurpimpin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhavin42 View Post
screwdriver, they just pop out.

You might nick them a bit, but once you put them back in you cant even tell.
This is what I did this weekend on the center console. Just gently pry from the bottom with a flathead screwdriver.

Even if you take out the center console and everything you can't get to the back of the blanks. Be gentle with the screwdriver and you'll be fine
Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunngavik View Post
Not familiar with the USB mob but are you going to dispose of the blanks when you install the mod? The reason I ask as I'm looking for a set of the under console blanks in good condition so if you want to sell them you potentially have a buyer.

Now, how to get them out the best way I found is using a thin strip of metal that you place as a brace along the base of the blank and then carefully prying a wide, flat and thin screwdriver under the edge. The metal piece is to avoid damaging the surrounding plastic.

Overall the easiest way of removing them without damaging them is going in from the back but with the center console that is impossible unless you take off the surrounding plastic. The easiest way of removing them with damaging them is to use a drill and put a hole in the middle, then just use a sturdy wire hook to pull them out.

PM me if you are interested.
I will be using the blank I remove.

Thanks for the imput guys! Lots of help on a subject that I couldn't find much info on...