1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie chick...anyone willing to help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aGirlandherTaco, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    aGirlandherTaco

aGirlandherTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Katrina
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    KMC XD edition-Enduro Wheels, Cooper Discoverer STT Tires. Westin Bull Bar, Westin Running boards, Billet Grilles, Tinted Windows, 2 inch revtek lift, Under Cover Tonneau Cover
    I bought my Tacoma a year ago. I love my truck,but..I feel like I don't know much about it. I don't want to be just another ignorant chick in a truck. I want to be able to answer peoples questions intelligently and not get taken advantage of if I take it into a shop. I want to be able to make sure I'm keeping up on the maintenance so that I don't wined up with big problems later on...Maybe this is a little vague...but is anyone willing to correspond with me and try to help me be informed?

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Oh you'll get help on here being a "chick", that is for sure. ;)

What kind of things are you talking here?

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    ^^^ This

And theres tons of threads on everything from headlights to solid axle swaps around the site. With a bit of reading you'll be as informed as the rest of us!

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Everyone here is ready to help anyone who has a problem or question, this is truly a great forum that benifits all of us here. Luckily you have a Tacoma and it should be a reliable for a very long time. :thumbsup:

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  6. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    just lurk around and read everything on this site.. you'll be an expert

7. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    :wave: Welcome to TW from Ft. Irwin, CA!

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    aGirlandherTaco: Just spend some time on the forums reading the different threads. When you have specific questions, post them in the appropriate forum. No offense intended but posting a topic as a damsel in distress is actually not the best way to go about becoming informed. Act like a normal, intelligent (yet understandably ignorant) person and you will get the respect you deserve instead of the ramblings of the under-sexed males who populate these boards...

9. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    aGirlandherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Katrina
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    KMC XD edition-Enduro Wheels, Cooper Discoverer STT Tires. Westin Bull Bar, Westin Running boards, Billet Grilles, Tinted Windows, 2 inch revtek lift, Under Cover Tonneau Cover
    I know, I know...I just feel like all of the sudden I have so much wrong with this truck, its all little stuff. But mostly just wish there was someone in my area to tell me where are good places to take the truck in to keep up with maintenance.

I've posted in other forums.. and I do read through a lot of them, but in some of the issues I have, the forums are left unanswered, with lots of people having the same problems but no one having a solution.

Lots of little questions... heres 2 to start, i guess...
    *Had an after market alarm system installed...now ever since the ABS & VSC come on and off together all the time, is the alarm thing a coincidence or should I get the ECU checked/scanned which ever?
    *Shaking in the steering wheel from 45-65miles/hr? had the tires rotated still shaking...

10. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    aGirlandherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Katrina
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Really though?? I'm not trying to play a damsel in distress card?? I'm just trying to ask a few questions to someone whos willing to help me..figured I'd mention that I didn't know much so that if someone didn't want to waste their time with a newbie then they didn't have to post here. If its a problem then I'll just delete this post I guess.

11. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    aGirlandherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Katrina
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Forget it then.

12. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    HighRise

HighRise Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fritz
    Portland,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    10 sport super white
    6 inch Pro comp stage 2
    What part of Oregon you from?

13. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Question #1 like I said before , take it to the dealer

Question #2 while you are there get the tires roadforce balanced

14. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    There's plenty of help here, the boys just aren't accustomed to having girls around so you'll have to excuse them.

Browse through the 2nd gen section for a bit and if you're not finding the answers you need then start a thread specific to the problem you're having. And from one girl to another...it helps to bring a guy friend along when visiting the dealer or mechanic. Less BS to wade through then!

15. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    Here's a great way to learn about your truck ...

• Go 4 wheelin' off road
    • Break stuff
    • Read this and try to fix it yourself
    BTW, it's possible the alarm and the ABS/VSC issue are completely unrelated. I had a strange issue show up where the Rear Differential Locked light comes on, soon to be followed by the ABS Warning light. Freaked me out the first time I saw it because I was on a road trip hundreds of miles from home and didn't have a single tool with me. Ends up it's a dirty/stuck sensor in the rear differential thats causing a false send signal that the rear diff is locked which then disables the ABS (normal). It comes and goes and I haven't fixed it yet but at least I know what it is now. I thought I had a short in my wiring ...

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    aGirlandherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Katrina
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I'm waiting for a new tire to come in, and then it'll be balanced ect. I guess then if that doesn't work I'll take it to the dealer...go from there, one step at a time... Don't bother posting any more replies...I appreciate the people who weren't jerks to me. Thanks. :(

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    ...and cue moderator intervention in 5...4...3...2......

:popcorn:

EDIT...nevermind. Looks like someone was already here!

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    boys...keep the shit to yourselves...

dont want to actually help, dont post. treatment of female members has been an issue before and can get straightened out again.

19. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Way to go guys... :rolleyes:

20. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    TacomaMan07

TacomaMan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Black Toolbox; Bed Mat; BFG ATs 265/75/16
    You should have an owners manual and maintenance manual somewhere. I would look over those, esp the maintenance manual. And you could also buy one of these [​IMG]

that would answer a lot of questions. And there is always the search button at the top of the site to search for questions that might have already been asked or talked about. Welcome from alabama. RTR

Products Discussed in

To Top