1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0119-10: Nothing Mechanically Wrong? Normal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SmokinFatBob, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    SmokinFatBob

SmokinFatBob [OP] Member

Member:
    My 2011 4x4 DC SB has play and vibration in the steering wheel when driving bumpy roads. It was even more obvious this past weekend when driving a dirt road out to a remote trailhead in the Sierra. Apparently, I'm not alone as a search on this forum finds numerous people, who have all experienced the same issue. I took it into the shop about 2 weeks ago for the 6 month service and after explaining to the service advisor, was told the mechanic didn't find anything wrong.

When I went back to pick it up, I demonstrated it to the mechanic and he did feel the play. We compared it to another Tacoma that was in service and its steering had no play. So he orders a new intermediate steering shaft.

Today, I took the car in, then get a voicemail from the service advisor saying that they put in the new steering shaft and nothing changed, the steering still had play. He also mentioned that they called the "technical people at Toyota" and they mentioned this issue has been brought to their attention and that this is normal with nothing mechanically wrong with the car. He said they were instructed to put the original intermediate shaft back into the car.

I don't have any issues with the advisor. He's been been pretty cool and helpful and sounds like he's just following orders, but I'm wondering how I should proceed since there's clearly a problem. When I went back to pick up the car, I brought along a copy of the TSB along with numerous comments from these forums where people have mentioned the TSB solved the issue. Unfortunately, the advisor had already gone home for the day. I left copies and asked that he call me tomorrow.

If play in the steering wheel is "normal", why would Toyota issue a TSB in the first place?

Anyway, here's the voicemail I received from the advisor. Can some of you give it a quick listen and give offer some thoughts/suggestions? I previously had a 2001 Pathfinder and after 170K miles, it's steering was rock solid compared to my Tacoma with less than 5K miles.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2541048/steering.mp4

Thanks!
    -Anthony

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    IMO they should have let you drive it before putting the old intermediate shaft back in. If its not the shaft then it must be something else and certainly not normal.

my 09 has developed the same play in the intermediate shaft tho i have yet to bring it in, will let ya know how i make out.

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    I had my intermediate shaft replaced a couple weeks ago. This was due to excessive play that was causing a clunk noise in the steering column. This TSB has nothing too do with the free play & steering wheel vibration you are feeling. I'm still fighting that demon since my truck was new & getting my tires road force balanced this Friday. I've been told that is the only way to minimize this problem. They say no guarantee it will cure it but should make it much less noticeable.

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I took mine in for the light "clunking" feel in the steering when driving on rough roads.

Intermediate shaft TSB was done, and the clunking is no more.

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    SmokinFatBob

SmokinFatBob [OP] Member

Member:
    I don't really hear much of an audible clunk, but I can feel a clunk in the wheel as wheel travels through the play area then sort of hits a "stop" so to speak. There's just a lot of bad feedback in the wheel when on bumpy terrain or roads.

By them saying it's a characteristic of the vehicle and that nothing is wrong just kinda seems a bit shady.

I called Toyota Corporate anyway and opened a case. They suggested I could always visit another dealer. We'll see what happens.

6. Sep 13, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    My dealer agreed to replace mine even though they said they could not see any problem. After I got it back it didn't feel any different than before. Makes me wonder if they really changed anything? Is there anyway to tell?

7. Sep 13, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Find a new dealer...post your location and maybe someone can recommend a trustworthy dealer who's interested in finding and fixing the problem instead of shoving you out the door telling you it's "normal"

Products Discussed in

To Top