Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need advice on 1st tacoma purchase

Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
rorybbellows is on a distinguished road
rorybbellows's Tacoma Gallery
i actually live in Mendocino County, not Tahoe. I was curious about the Tahoe comment because I go there at least once a year, but the area I live in is not exactly mountainous and gets maybe one day of snow every year. Is there an MPG difference between 2wd and 4x4?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe 1 or 2 MPG difference. I get 20 driving nice 70% highway 30% street.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
Pics by the end of the day? In my dreams! I'm going to need a few more paychecks from The Man before I can put down anything beyond a trade-in. Just starting the research process, but it's quickly becoming an obsession
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #24
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
'god' has some great advice!

I changed from an Xtra Cab (now called an Access Cab) to a Double Cab in 2005 when my kids were 15/16 (girl/boy) as they were getting mighty uncomfortable on our long trips to Baja, and an adult would be in pain... The Xtra Cab was first gen. (2001).
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
Thanks, god! I'll be honest, I hadn't even considered the AC option. Just thought it'd be too tight back there, but I'll be researching this new possibility for the rest of the night!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
bikedude135 is on a distinguished road

bikedude135's Tacoma Gallery
hi, this is my first post here and i'd like to add some perspective. my v6 access cab is used for carrying motorcycles and will carry two sportbikes, tools, spare parts, and a passenger with EASE (~1400lbs). it even has passing power with that weight. the only weak area might be the brakes but they get the job done. empty, the v6 has plenty of passing power and with loads up to 500lbs you can't tell the difference. the power is nice.

that being said... a friend's 4cyl access cab carries his bike, wife, kid and gear (~1000lbs) with no problem as well. he sometimes tows a 1000lb trailer, which is also easy.

hopefully that helps.

as for the access cab, i highly recommend it over the dc unless carrying passengers is a high priority. the access will give you far more flexibility because like mentioned it WILL hold 4ppl. i've had 2 adults in the back for short trips and no complaining (they were even surprised that it has full size seatbelts). with the back seats folded (pre-08 makes a flat floor) it is far larger than the trunk of an average sedan.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
There will always be people giving advise to you about what you should do.
Dear god ,

it's " advice "
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
Dear OZ,
F**K OFF.
Is that your advise ?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
Appreciate the perspective, bikedude! I don't really have much to tow in way of motorcycles, but it's very interesting to hear that your friend with the 4cyl can lug around everything with no problem. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
MLJak is on a distinguished road
Marines: Corporal - Combat Engineer
MLJak's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with guy with the deity name and the bikedude. 3 weeks ago I got the 4x4 V6 AC and now wish I had the 4cyl. A bit of buyers remorse.

Drive both on good test drives, up hill if you can. Then make the decision the next day.

My mistake was doing really good test drives, falling in love with the V6 power, then making an emotional decision on the same day. The 4 cyl made it ok, I think I could have lived with it.

Like you, I may have kids in the next couple years, and the less money spent, the better. You can put a child seat in the access cab.

Financially speaking - my base V6 was the same price (a few hundred give or take) as an SR5 4cyl.

For the bigger engine, I gave up all the nice features for more power. The SR5 package is very nice. The back-up camera is fantastic!!

It's your call, just sharing my thoughts and experience. I'm a miser who doesn't like to spend money. Was driving a 97 Explorer for the last 10 years, rode it to death. Seriously, it was done

Good luck on the choice!!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #31
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Really like the 4.0