Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need advice on 1st tacoma purchase

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
rorybbellows is on a distinguished road
rorybbellows's Tacoma Gallery
need advice on 1st tacoma purchase

I知 looking to purchase my first truck within the year, and I知 considering a new or relatively new Tacoma 4X2 Double Cab. I壇 appreciate some advice regarding engine size; should I go with the 4-cylinder or the V6? I live in a small town in the wine country region of northern California. My house is on about ス acre, and land/garden/house maintenance requires seasonal hauling of soil, gravel, wood, etc. I drive mostly residential streets and highways in a somewhat hilly area, and I have children in my near future. I知 leaning towards the 4-cylinder due to its better MPG and I知 not sure if I really need the power of the V6. Thank you in advance for your responses and any additional advice you'd like to throw my way!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 4 CYL Access Cab. Thats all you need. Pre Runner would be a little higher.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
AndrewPiering is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AndrewPiering's Tacoma Gallery
Def. go with the V6. There is hardly any difference in MPG. You will regret the 4 with the hills and what not. V6 will be easier hauling anything, esepecially uphill. Plus the additional power is nice to have. I just bought a 2011 prerunner, SR5, 4.0l v6 DC, short bed. Love it. I say go with the 6. no doubt. Most guys will probably agree. good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Well....having children in the future screams Double Cab......while your're at it get the V6. The 4 doesn't get that much better gas mileage anyway....

Just do it! and welcome.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Double Cab SR5 V6 long bed. Room inside for the fam, long bed for hauling, V6 for hauling and SR5 to save money unless you want the Sport. The Offroad does not come in a long bed. The 4 banger will move what you need but I don't think they come in a long bed and it will be a slouch. The V6 is alright on gas. I can get 20MPG out of my 4wd double cab auto.

Edit: Air bags for hauling. The stock Toyota springs are junk and the TSB springs aren't much better.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Thanks for all the replies! Now that I've got my mind set on buying, I see Tacoma's all over town, and every one I see has at least a V6 badge on it. No surprise that I'm now leaning towards what the locals and experts in this forum suggest! Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
AndrewPiering is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AndrewPiering's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man! I just bought my first Taco back in June. Its been my dream truck since I was a kid. You will love it.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Double Cab SR5 V6 long bed. Room inside for the fam, long bed for hauling, V6 for hauling and SR5 to save money unless you want the Sport. The Offroad does not come in a long bed. The 4 banger will move what you need but I don't think they come in a long bed and it will be a slouch. The V6 is alright on gas. I can get 20MPG out of my 4wd double cab auto.

Edit: Air bags for hauling. The stock Toyota springs are junk and the TSB springs aren't much better.
Get this^
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Ever go to Tahoe in winter? If you do, you'll regret a Prerunner.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The V6 is alright on gas. I can get 20MPG out of my 4wd double cab auto.
Yeah got 19.87mpg out of my last tank of gas ... access cab v6 auto.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
why is that?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Sorry. Why would I regret a prerunner in Tahoe?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Ditto on the bags, I just installed some on mine a couple of weeks ago and i love em. I say get the six, because A: You don't have a big commute> B: You will be glad with all those hills> and C:You got a family comin at some point, if you want to keep the truck awhile, double cab is the way to go.
Oh yeah, one more thing, Long Bed, IMO a five foot bed is as useless as tits on a boar.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybbellows View Post
Because a Prerunner is 2WD...

The OFF ROAD TRD has a locking rear differential, but getting 4WD will be a night and day difference. If you want a Double Cab, then the Off Road only comes with the 5 ft. bed... but it hold plenty.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybbellows View Post
Whatever model you get , get a 4wd , doesn't matter so much about having a locker , they are useless in snow
Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I didn't see that he was in Tahoe. I also suggest 4wd now.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
V6
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
definitely a v6 4x4 if your near mountains and snow at all! and double cab for family friendly!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
oh and now that your a member on here your gonna have to lift it, get new wheels, etc
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
Banned
So it is settled. 4wd double cab long bed SR5 V6. We expect to see pictures by the end of the day OP.