Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone intall TRD Offroad Springs & Shocks on Prerunner?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone intall TRD Offroad Springs & Shocks on Prerunner?

I bought a set used and was going to put them on my SR5 Prerunner, but a few people told me not to do it because it would make it ride too stiff. For those who have done it was it a an improvement?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my base model waste case tokicos on my 08 SR5 prerunner with the Toyota TRD Bilsteins I had in the attic that never went on my 05 because it got 5100s. Sure they ride stiffer compared to those mushy nonsense base model shocks....just like a truck should. They are much better than those IMO. I used the linear coils off the base model struts up front though, not the progressive TRD coils. That may be what people complain about because those would be stiffer than using the linear coils. I had the TRD coils on my 5100s and it was stiffer offorad but rode good on the road. The linear coils with the TRD bilsteins ride less choppy and stiff offroad than the TRD progressive coils with the 5100s did...but the preload set at 2.5 lift on the 5100s may have had something to do with that. I am not lifting this time so that's why I went with the TRD shocks I had in the attic that never got used on the 05. They are vast improvement over the base setup and were free at this point. I'm way OK with them on my regular cab, they should ride OK with your double cab.........

Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
I bought a set used and was going to put them on my SR5 Prerunner, but a few people told me not to do it because it would make it ride too stiff. For those who have done it was it a an improvement?
Go for it if you want, they won't be too stiff. The TRD Off Road coils are progressive vs. the linear coils you have now. TRD Sport and SR5 coils are the same.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just change the shocks not the springs.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
CARPRO is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
CARPRO's Tacoma Gallery
Was wonder if you can get the front struts out with dropping and the ball joint or anything us I also got some trd stuts want to take the stock struts out and take to a shop and have the shock changed out.

Thank for any help
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPRO View Post
Was wonder if you can get the front struts out with dropping and the ball joint or anything us I also got some trd stuts want to take the stock struts out and take to a shop and have the shock changed out.

Thank for any help
I didn't mess with any ball joints when I swapped my shock/coils to 5100's/eibachs.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Political Correctness Sucks!
skb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
skb7527's Tacoma Gallery
I did it! My buddy gave me his TRD shocks after he put a 3" lift on his new Taco. The shocks raised my truck, because my original shocks were shot. Sure the ride got a little stiffer, but it didnt bother me. Just do it...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb7527 View Post
I did it! My buddy gave me his TRD shocks after he put a 3" lift on his new Taco. The shocks raised my truck, because my original shocks were shot. Sure the ride got a little stiffer, but it didnt bother me. Just do it...
lol my prerunner is a trd offroad...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Political Correctness Sucks!
skb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
skb7527's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post

More like a wanna-be, but you can't pass up free....
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Mine's a trd sport, lol........