Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd indicator light flashing

Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
4wd indicator light flashing

Hey guys can anyone help me out here??? I was driving my truck to work today on pavement in 2hi like ur supposed to and my 4wd indicator light on my dash started flashing. It stayed on for like 15miles, then turned off. This is the second time its done it. Does anyone know why it would do that?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
Hey guys can anyone help me out here??? I was driving my truck to work today on pavement in 2hi like ur supposed to and my 4wd indicator light on my dash started flashing. It stayed on for like 15miles, then turned off. This is the second time its done it. Does anyone know why it would do that?
Your sig says SR5/TRD... but which: Off Road or Sport ??

I will take a guess and say Off Road and what you see blinking isn't the 4WD indicator, but the locking rear differential indicator.

If the RR LOCKING DIFF button gets pushed, the light will blink (it only will engage when you are in LOW RANGE, then the light stays on, solid).

Here are both the 4WD and Rear Locked indicator lights (the locker light is the one with the X over the differential):

Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Yup seems like your rear locker button got pushed by accident. Easy to do with the fogs button right next to it
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i do not have a diff locker on my truck. the light that is flashing is the yellow 4wd symbol not the locker symbol
Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i do not have a diff locker on my truck. the light that is flashing is the yellow 4wd symbol not the locker symbol

So, you have a Sport TRD... okay, then if your dial is pointed to H2, but the H4 indicator is flashing... you do have a problem!

Perhaps just an electric short of some sort... Talk to the service dept. and aks them if they have dealt with that issue before... then ask what it was. You can then decide if you want to fix it or the professionals can.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
There are no yellow 4wd lights.

What light is flashing?
Attached Thumbnails
4wd indicator light flashing-warning-lights.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Some are 'red/green color-blind' and green could be yellow-ish and red can look green (interchangable).
Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

yell i had a srs light come one yesterday too went in and got all that fixed. 300 dollars later eeverything all good. i got lucky tho the tech riged up a new clip for the front stripped sensor. if he didnt i would have had to get a new $2300 wiring harness
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Fish Head is on a distinguished road

Fish Head's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Had my main body wiring harness replaced a month ago ( under warranty.....thank gawd !! ) on my 08 due to a "hard shift" ( was more like being hit from behind by a loaded bus, but whatever), and we (the dealership and I ) have been chasing a similar 4WD issue for almost the last year.
The green 4WD light light blinks on its own free will, but nothing engages. Sometimes you can hear the solenoid up behind the glove box fire, and other times you cannot. If you turn the dial on the dash in an attempt to engage either 4 Hi OR 4 Lo while the green indicator on the dash is flashing, you get nothing. The blinking green 4WD indicator will come up without even looking at the dial - it's so completely random. The guys at the shop have had it while it's doing it and cannot figure it out. And it is NOT throwing an error code which is limiting their ability to trace it.

I spend a lot of time in the bush travelling backcountry roads well out of cell coverage as I chase trout with my fly rods, and there's plenty of places that are off limits lately as a result of having no 4WD - not cool.

A month or two ago, the actuator was replaced in hopes of putting this to bed. This past Wed and Thurs it was in the shop all day, both days, and they replaced an ECM board on the system as it appeared to have some hot spots on it and a bit of delamination, and it resolved everything ..........................until a day and a half later when it kicked up again.

I can't wait to see the look on the guys face when I roll back in there on Monday.

The issue from the o.p. sounds identical to mine, so I'll be watching this closely in the hopes someone offers a solution or we see a resolve.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Back into the shop tomorrow to replace a second actuator somewhere within the transfer case itself....or so I'm told - I don't have have a 100% clear understanding of the full mechanical aspect of this....sort of a learn as we go sort of deal.

Will post results once she's back out and I get a chance to test it.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #11

So,.................after roughly 3000 Kms over the past +3 weeks, I'm happy to report that the last swapping of the front actuator,....has worked !

My mechanic noticed that Toyota has changed the part number on this actuator 2 times since my original replacement, leading him to believe they have changed/modified the unit twice. He thinks there may have been an issue or two with the "original" version, but has little proof other than the part # change and the fact my earlier two units failed.
I guess time will tell if this newest one will hold up or not.
If anything goes sideways with this one, I'll add to the thread with specifics.

FH - Happy to have 4WD that works once again !