1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd indicator light flashing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by uscg2008, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 3:43 AM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    Hey guys can anyone help me out here??? I was driving my truck to work today on pavement in 2hi like ur supposed to and my 4wd indicator light on my dash started flashing. It stayed on for like 15miles, then turned off. This is the second time its done it. Does anyone know why it would do that?

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Your sig says SR5/TRD... but which: Off Road or Sport ??

I will take a guess and say Off Road and what you see blinking isn't the 4WD indicator, but the locking rear differential indicator.

If the RR LOCKING DIFF button gets pushed, the light will blink (it only will engage when you are in LOW RANGE, then the light stays on, solid).

Here are both the 4WD and Rear Locked indicator lights (the locker light is the one with the X over the differential):

1-26-11007_e192a87c9336a68959bbf1719ec0f97087388b90.jpg

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    Yup seems like your rear locker button got pushed by accident. Easy to do with the fogs button right next to it

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    i do not have a diff locker on my truck. the light that is flashing is the yellow 4wd symbol not the locker symbol

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

So, you have a Sport TRD... okay, then if your dial is pointed to H2, but the H4 indicator is flashing... you do have a problem!:rolleyes:

Perhaps just an electric short of some sort... Talk to the service dept. and aks them if they have dealt with that issue before... then ask what it was. You can then decide if you want to fix it or the professionals can.

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Some are 'red/green color-blind' and green could be yellow-ish and red can look green (interchangable).

7. Aug 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    yell i had a srs light come one yesterday too went in and got all that fixed. 300 dollars later eeverything all good. i got lucky tho the tech riged up a new clip for the front stripped sensor. if he didnt i would have had to get a new $2300 wiring harness

8. Aug 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Fish Head

Fish Head Active Member

Member:
    Had my main body wiring harness replaced a month ago ( under warranty.....thank gawd !! ) on my 08 due to a "hard shift" ( was more like being hit from behind by a loaded bus, but whatever), and we (the dealership and I ) have been chasing a similar 4WD issue for almost the last year.
    The green 4WD light light blinks on its own free will, but nothing engages. Sometimes you can hear the solenoid up behind the glove box fire, and other times you cannot. If you turn the dial on the dash in an attempt to engage either 4 Hi OR 4 Lo while the green indicator on the dash is flashing, you get nothing. The blinking green 4WD indicator will come up without even looking at the dial - it's so completely random. The guys at the shop have had it while it's doing it and cannot figure it out. And it is NOT throwing an error code which is limiting their ability to trace it.

I spend a lot of time in the bush travelling backcountry roads well out of cell coverage as I chase trout with my fly rods, and there's plenty of places that are off limits lately as a result of having no 4WD - not cool.

A month or two ago, the actuator was replaced in hopes of putting this to bed. This past Wed and Thurs it was in the shop all day, both days, and they replaced an ECM board on the system as it appeared to have some hot spots on it and a bit of delamination, and it resolved everything :taco:..........................until a day and a half later when it kicked up again.

I can't wait to see the look on the guys face when I roll back in there on Monday. :eek:

The issue from the o.p. sounds identical to mine, so I'll be watching this closely in the hopes someone offers a solution or we see a resolve.

9. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    Fish Head

Fish Head Active Member

Member:
    Back into the shop tomorrow to replace a second actuator somewhere within the transfer case itself....or so I'm told - I don't have have a 100% clear understanding of the full mechanical aspect of this....sort of a learn as we go sort of deal.

Will post results once she's back out and I get a chance to test it. :popcorn:

10. Oct 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Fish Head

Fish Head Active Member

Member:
    So,.................after roughly 3000 Kms over the past +3 weeks, I'm happy to report that the last swapping of the front actuator,....has worked !

My mechanic noticed that Toyota has changed the part number on this actuator 2 times since my original replacement, leading him to believe they have changed/modified the unit twice. He thinks there may have been an issue or two with the "original" version, but has little proof other than the part # change and the fact my earlier two units failed.
    I guess time will tell if this newest one will hold up or not.
    If anything goes sideways with this one, I'll add to the thread with specifics.

FH - Happy to have 4WD that works once again ! :yay:

11. Oct 11, 2018 at 9:33 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    Thanks. This was the reason our truck had the red light with the x. Easiest fix ever- just push the button.

12. Oct 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You realize this thread is 7 years old? Good thing as it is still helping others! ;)

13. Oct 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    Don't matter how old it is- it worked on my 2012 and I didn't have to go talk to the idiots at the dealership.:)
    Thanks again.

David K[QUOTED] and llamasmurf like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top