Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
RollTideJon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
RollTideJon's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs?

Has anyone used Autolite double platinums? If so, were they alright spark plugs or should i return and get the NGK V-Powers? Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Denso Part #K20HR-U11. These trucks don't need double platinum super coated anything plugs.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with stock. Anything else is a waste of money.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
fortyniner is on a distinguished road
fortyniner's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2008 with 23,000 miles on it and was wondering when I should start thinking about changing the plugs. It runs great with no starting or engine miss problems. It seems like with the individual coils and high secondary voltage the plugs would last a long time.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyniner View Post
I've got a 2008 with 23,000 miles on it and was wondering when I should start thinking about changing the plugs. It runs great with no starting or engine miss problems. It seems like with the individual coils and high secondary voltage the plugs would last a long time.
Dont worry about it until 30k miles
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #6

Thanks. That is greatly helpful. They didn't have the denso's in stock but i will be returning the autolites and having them order the denso's.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideJon View Post
Thanks. That is greatly helpful. They didn't have the denso's in stock but i will be returning the autolites and having them order the denso's.

good choice, i got like double platinum spark plugs cause they sounded like they were good when i was getting my oil from walmart... first time getting spark plugs. i went home and my step dad made me go return them and get ngks or densos.

those are best for our engines as i have now learned
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
textoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Fred
textoy's Tacoma Gallery
I used autolite platinums in my 99 LC for 60K miles on the 1st change. Also used them in my '04 Tundra. They were fine. I replaced them with iridiums in the land cruiser only because it is a PITA to change them in the cruiser and I wanted them to last longer. However, I could tell no difference in performance...and the autolites still looked good after 60k miles. At about $2.00 each at walmart vs $10.00 for the iridiums, there is no justification for the iridiums if they are easy to change.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
good choice, i got like double platinum spark plugs cause they sounded like they were good when i was getting my oil from walmart... first time getting spark plugs. i went home and my step dad made me go return them and get ngks or densos.

those are best for our engines as i have now learned

So Denso vs. NGK, which is truly better? Or are they gonna be about the same? I know the NGK's cost a little more.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Denso Part #K20HR-U11. These trucks don't need double platinum super coated anything plugs.
This.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideJon View Post
So Denso vs. NGK, which is truly better? Or are they gonna be about the same? I know the NGK's cost a little more.
My denso's were in better shape than the NGK's when I pulled mine out.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
If you are doing your plugs for the first time, you will notice that there are Denso plugs on one side and NGK on the other when you take them out. Denso or NGK, you can't really go wrong with either, just don't mix and match like Toyota is fond of doing.

Chris is the resident expert and created this great writeup on the spark plug change:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
I really should get my changed. I bought the truck at 37K miles 2 and a half years ago. Who knows if they were changed at 30K or not.

Right now, I have 49K miles. Engine runs fine and I get the rated mileage on the freeway. 20.xxx MPG when it's 99.9% highway.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are doing your plugs for the first time, you will notice that there are Denso plugs on one side and NGK on the other when you take them out. Denso or NGK, you can't really go wrong with either, just don't mix and match like Toyota is fond of doing.

Chris is the resident expert and created this great writeup on the spark plug change:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
what was the purpose of that anyway?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
what was the purpose of that anyway?
I don't think anyone knows for sure. I am curious also.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
Chris?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
Chris?
Im not entirely sure. Some friends and I have discussed it at length, and the only thing we can think of, is the resistance values are slightly different from one side to the other, allowing them to run a cheaper plug on the driver side (NGK), thus saving a few pennys on each truck. Over the production run, this could be a very significant savings, but I cant verify any of this.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
#SK20R11