1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So the dealer just called and offered to buy my truck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RevHard6, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Didn't have to read anything other than the title, it's a 100% bullshit dealer scam. There is absolutely nobody that wants to buy your truck. I hate these shady tactics.

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    here's what you do....set a meeting for their potential "buyer" to look at the truck...go to the dealer and spend about an hour browsing the lot looking at new vehicles....here's the catch, before doing all this, put a GIANT for sale sign on your windows with your info and price it below what KBB says the dealer could get for it....maybe you'll get lucky and the "buyer" might buy it from you outright and eliminate the dealer as a middleman and save a few bucks....

just a thought

:D

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Dealerships around here normally mail those notifications to you, stating "your vehicle is in high demand and we are currently paying high dollar for trades"... In all honesty, looking between KBB or NADA trade-in value vs. retail value shows you a fair bit of mark-up right off the bat. Then factor in that they just moved a new vehicle off their lot (which is normally the case, I've never seen anyone drive up to a dealership with a vehicle and then walk or cab it home...unless they don't understand how payment obligations work).

I do know, in the state of Illinois anyhow, dealerships pay taxes on all vehicles on their lots at the end of the month in their inventory, think about the cost savings if all you had was used vehicles and not new vehicles you have been paying taxes on for the last 10 months, which are also, sitting their depreciating with the oncoming 2012's getting ready to hit showroom floors.

FWIW, my 2003 Mazda 6 is still in their sights for me to sell them at a higher than average price...problem I have is that the thing was totaled out in May 2010 due to some color blind elderly woman who just figured she should turn whenever she felt like it...:eek: I'm just glad they still send me discounts for oil changes for it also...every two friggin' weeks :jerkoff:

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Ideally, you should walk hand in hand with a salesman while they tell you everything new about the vehicle you are researching, then have your buddy show up at the dealership, call you and meet you at your vehicle, discussing all the options you have and work you've done to it, which is selling for nearly half NADA pricing and then both drive off watching the salesman stewing in his own piss and vomit about losing the sale that could've bought him a free trip to the VIP restroom this month...

Seriously, I would chalk that right up there with honking and waving at people leaving adult book stores...whether I know them or not, it's funny to watch their faces.:D

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    That's what I have always wanted to do. I tell my friends that get called for this scam to play dumb, and ask the salesperson for the "buyers" phone number and that they will make the deal themselves.

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    That's friggin' great!

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Well, I am a sadistic bastard...

8. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Our local Toyota dealer in Fremont Ca. has a sign as you approach the service dept. looking for Tacoma 2008 and 2009 among other models. I taught it was weird.

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    My Dealership has sent a few of those notices wanting to buy my truck...all they're doing is looking for low mileage trucks they can make a killing on while you get screwed buying a new vehical.

10. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I kept getting those buyback offers in the mail from the dealer I bought my 07 Prerunner.

11. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    That shit is routine.

Local dealer here (I am a 4x purchaser) keeps calling for my wife's 2006 Sequioa 4x4. Both of the BMW dealers within 30 miles of my home are essentially begging for my 2003 M3 Convertible because it is so low on miles. Both promise to give top dollar and neither one ever budge off of mid KBB. Screw 'em

12. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    P-Hill Tacoma

P-Hill Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Short Bed 4WD Off Road Barcelona Red
    Fr Bilsteins@1.75", Rr Bilsteins w/ 1.5" AAL & RideRite Airbags, Truxedo Lo-Pro Tonneau, Step Tubes, 1.25" Spidertrax
    Got an email today with offer to buy mine. It said they have 40 used cars on the lot and they sell 200 a month. They offered $1000 over black book or $7000 over if I trade for a new vehicle. .

13. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    2010pyrite

2010pyrite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    smart move on their part..
    good idea for the dealer to do that, smart.
    im sure they get tons of trade in this way.

14. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    They are not "buying" your truck per say.

This is just a sales tactic to get you in the door. When it comes down to it, they are trying to convince you to trading in your vehicle.

If you want a new vehicle, may be a good chance to upgrade if the numbers favor you.

Just dont get suckered thinking you and your truck is special. :p

15. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    The way all the offers sound in the mail, you bring your truck in to the dealership, they give you so much for it you could buy a new truck with what they offer...reality is the more the they offer to buy yours for, the higher the price on the new truck.

Once you've driven on to the lot, then sat in and driven a new truck, you're done for.

16. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    The upside is a new vehicle that is 4wd... They might give you a good deal on the trade, and that trade should bring your taxes down on the new rig.

The question you have to ask: do you want 4wd enough to let her talk to you further?

17. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.

Exactly. I get a call every year from the same dealership and different sales associate telling me some bullshit story that someone wants my exact truck

18. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Are they targeting Prerunner owners to trade in for 4x4s? At my dealership 90 miles away there are 22 2011's. 20 are 4x4's. Prerunners are popular here.

19. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    ask for the buyers name and number then tell the dealer you'll be back for a new ride when you sell your old one hehe

just a sales tactic, pork ya on the trade, charge ya to much for the new truck then pork someone else on your current truck. its a win win win...for the dealer :bananadead:

20. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:50 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    [​IMG]

Ive gotten letters to buy my truck from the dealership, but my local dealership is way overpriced either way

Products Discussed in

To Top