1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

evaporating rear differental fluid??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma3243, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Aug 27, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Tacoma3243

Tacoma3243 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    roanoke VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 V-6 Double Cab
    My 2006 4 x 4 double cab with 55000 miles went for dealer service for a knocking noise. Apparently, the rear differental was way low in fluid. I've never serviced the differental or had any leaks. The dealer is telling me it evaporated...never heard of gear oil evaporating...it's a sealed unit. I've searched the web and found both answers that it can't and can evaporate. Any toyota mechanics know the true answer?
    Thank- new to forum guy - Joe.

2. Aug 27, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    It is not a sealed unit. There is a vent in the top.

3. Aug 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Oil can burn off (if enough heat is applied), but it doesnt "evaporate".

4. Aug 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    What he said. There would have to be serious issues to create that much heat, and the remaining oil would be very dark and smell badly burnt. Sounds like it was never filled correctly from the get-go, but, the level should have been checked as few times during that time as well.

5. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I agree with the others about this stuff not evaporating.

Dare I ask, how well do the brakes work?

PK

6. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Tacoma3243

Tacoma3243 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    roanoke VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 V-6 Double Cab
    The truck was purchased new and no maintenance was preformed on the rear by Toyota service or myself. The truck was scheduled for a differential check at 30,000/45,000 miles which I regrettably shouldn’t have disregarded. Seems I pay more attention to my classic cars then I do our daily drivers...I obviously need to work on that. But again- no visible wet spots on the rear or pavement...my bad.

The service manager has agreed with my argument that gear oil doesn’t evaporate and was likely never filled correctly from the factory ( as landphil stated). The mechanic and service manager also agreed the vent wasn’t a factor in fluid “evaporation”. Since my miles are typical driving and not “special operation” (towing or off road) they no charged the flush and fill. The mechanic felt no permanent damage was made on the rear...since it was caught early... but only time will tell. Good news- The knock is gone... However, to some of your points...friction, heat and corrosion are certainly factors in gear oil break-down.

Thank you for the quick and educated replies. I appreciate those who eloquently responded without the need for sarcasm.

Thanks again,
    Joe

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff