Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Westin Bull Bar Chrome or Black?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Cobhc is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
Cobhc's Tacoma Gallery
Westin Bull Bar Chrome or Black?

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you have a Westin Ultimate Bull Bar. If so, have you had any problems with the Black color? I've heard that the black bar has more potential to rust than the stainless steel chrome bar. And the pricing is also a little suspicious because the chrome bar is a lot more expensive than the black but I think the black would go better with my 2008 Indigo Blue Tacoma. As far as technical problems, has anybody had any?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Black!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Black is better as far as technical none that i know of you try looking at the aries bull bar?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
On indigo ink, I think chrome would look better.

Why do you want a bull bar? Is it just for looks? If its for lights, get a light bar. If its for "protection", get a bumper. Honestly, I really regret getting mine. It looks good, but it offers no protection and will do more ban than good in a collision. Not to mention the loss in approach angle and ground clearance from it. But if your not into off roading, this will not matter much. Just food for thought.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05tacotrd is right if its for looks its cool i use mine for offroading i put 2 hellas on but im gonna be switching to a light bar once i get rid of my bull bar.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
i have the black aries i think they are the same as the westin and i love it
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com

aries better built!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #9
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Black.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how the rest of your truck is trimmed, wheel color, etc.

Black looks good but if you're going to be going through a lot of brush with it (that's what I do with mine) then the black finish will scratch. If it's just for looks or you're not going through bushes / shrubs / ground clutter like I have to then maybe chrome / stainless is the way to go...

(I often travel on land with no roads / trail, so you can imaging the briar bushes / shrubs / plants you run over when doing so - be advised, a bull guard is not as strong as it looks - it offers no IMPACT protection - the metal brackets would fold like cards, LOL)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Nor*Cal

if i could weld i would weld that bad boy on there along with the blots cause it would fold like no other, thought maybe welding it would atleast keep the bracket in place
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #12
Founder Socaltacomas.com

I wouldnt weld it the bull bar will just curl if hit. then how would you take it off.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Nor*Cal

well the bolts that go on the frame are pretty sturdy but like the bolts that bolt the bar to the brackets you know haha i dont know im just throwin out ideas jeeze! haha
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the tube is such a thin gauge that it would bend if you were to make some thicker brackets. I was going to make some thicker brackets myself, but I realized that impact will take the path of least resistance but will not stop, so it would just bend the tube anyway.

Good for keeping light weight stuff from your grill, not a structural element used to literally push stuff out of the way. You'll need some body armor for that...

I have one and I'm happy with it, just understand what you're getting and, more importantly, what you're NOT getting.

(Note - I also use the holes for the lights to mount a fabricated fishing rod holder - holds 4 fishing rods - good for the beach driving / fishing at OBX)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Founder Socaltacomas.com

I thought about welding it but then im like how will i take it off if i dont want it and since im gonna be going with a light bar good thing i didnt weld it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
well the bolts that go on the frame are pretty sturdy but like the bolts that bolt the bar to the brackets you know haha i dont know im just throwin out ideas jeeze! haha
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Nor*Cal

i wouldnt weld it either, did you see that one guy that got in that crash on here that had the bull bar? can't remember the name or the thread but the bull bar kept the air bags from going off, that actually saves some big money right there
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Yeah that was a bad crash but i would want the airbags to go off instead of having a toyota stamp on my head lol i know it saves money but i want it to be used for what its intended for.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
Nor*Cal

yeah true that haha