Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installed TPMS on my new wheels and my steering wheel shakes

Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
wag is on a distinguished road
wag's Tacoma Gallery
Installed TPMS on my new wheels and my steering wheel shakes

I tried searching and haven't found a related answer to my question.

Two weeks ago I lifted my new truck (2011 TRD DC 4WD) and put on some XD addicts and goodyear duratracs. I drove on them for the two weeks without the TPMS installed and it drove fine.

Took my truck in today and had the TPMS installed and my steering wheel now shakes right around 40 MPH.

So clearly this is related as it just started shaking after the TPMS install. My question is should I have had my wheels rebalanced after the TPMS install.

I called the tire shop and informed them of the new steering wheel shake and asked if it was due to the TPMS and the guy said, he didn't think it would matter.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Out of balance. Find someone local who does a road force balance.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
not balanced. they had to take the tire off to install the tpms, so they had to re-balance it. make sure they used the right adapter for your wheels or else it throws it off.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
wag's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. That's what I figured, I'm no genius but hell I know the TPMS valve doesn't weigh the same is the stock ones that came with the XD's, so that's what I figured.

Oh well, glad it's an easy fix and will be back there tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
wag's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels balanced (For free) and problem solved! Dude at the counter was surprised I came back since he didn't feel that the TPMS would have thrown off the balance...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
Wheels balanced (For free) and problem solved! Dude at the counter was surprised I came back since he didn't feel that the TPMS would have thrown off the balance...
Just dismounting and remounting in a different orientation could throw them out of balance... that guy is an idiot!