1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Driveline Movement question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KColoTaco, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.
    Hey I was wondering if anyone had any info on a possible problem of mine. I can push my rear driveshaft up and down about 3/4" the movement is visible in the mount on the bottom of the transfer case. Not super easy to move but seems excessive. It has some vibes above 70mph and wondering if this might be part of the problem.

Let me know if anyone else has this play or remebers a little being in there.

Thanks I appriciate all the help I can get.

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  3. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    KColoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    Sorry for the not so great discription. First I have a double dardon one piece driveshaft. So no problem with the carrier bearing.

I am talking about movment at the transfer case. However not free movement in the output bearing of the Tcase. It is more the movement in the ruber mounts that hold the Tcase. I assume that I should not be able to move these mounts much by hand. The mount below the transfer case has two rubber mounts and a center pin. This is were you can see the flex. This is also where if pushed hard enough you get a click out of it.

I understand it's a rubber mount and is designed to move... But the question is how much.

Thanks again everyone!

4. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    KColoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    Hey thanks for the thoughts. I do have a mild 2.5" lift on my truck and an aftermarket driveshaft. However, I have done the math and the driveshaft angle is well within spec. I do not however know how good of a balance job the shop did on my driveshaft. If balanced corectlly the u-joints should harmonicllly cancel each other's vibration. The torque on the driveshaft should be pretty linier with increased speed, and could present slight vibration getting worse wit speed. Driveshaft angle probelms are ussually expreinced under 40mph i.e. the dreaded takeoff shudder.

I will admit that the rubber mounts between the cross member ant the T-case are very soft. I have also heard about some folks getting a tighter set. I may need to look into this.

I guess your right in the long run if its hardly noticible and it's not leaking oil out a seal well Drive IT.

Thanks for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top