1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Racks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thors-Taco, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Jun 10, 2007 at 5:29 PM
    thors-Taco

thors-Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    I have been looking for some racks that could be bought for my 07 Taco but without spending an arm and a leg, couldn't find anything off the shelf but did manage to piece together a system that would marry up with my old Yakima bike racks. Works great for hauling my various surfboards (10 foot plus). The aluminum struts are made by a company called 80/20 and they along with the brackets they sell fit nicely with the Taco's inner rail system.

Racks on Taco.jpg.jpg
    Rear Rack.jpg.jpg
    Front Rack.jpg.jpg

2. Jun 11, 2007 at 9:17 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Here is what I have done with my tie down cleats. It's my surf rod holder, a plastic tube that holds all of my fishing rods while in transport from Dallas to PINS. I had them finished off by TOFF liners and I made these in the garage with extra time and a little cold beer. Hope pictures post up properly.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/kilo311/P1010241.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/kilo311/P1010242.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/kilo311/P1010243.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/kilo311/P1010262-1.jpg

3. Jun 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Well, I wanted to attach thumb nails but it didn't work, I'll work on that at a later date.

4. Jun 12, 2007 at 8:43 AM
    thors-Taco

thors-Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Kilo - racks look great...how did you connent the vertical stainless piece to the tie down cleats? Is the vertical piece resting on the bed liner where there is the notch for a 6X6?

5. Jun 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Thors! I took the large knob from the cleat off and used a regular nut to secure the vertical piece in. At the bottom I welded some square tubing so it would rest on the notches that the bed comes with. This past weekend I drove up to Lake Texoma, into the Oklahoma side about a 2 hour drive, loaded with rod holder and rods, and the brackets didn't move(about 20-25 lbs total). So my first test run was a success!! I'm still thinking about drilling through the bottom and into the bed then threading the bed to screw in another bolt, for added support. I wanted a clean look and utilize what the Taco has to offer. Here are some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jun 13, 2007 at 3:40 PM
    thors-Taco

thors-Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    nicely done Kilo...I was also considering tapping into the bottom of the bed for additional security as the rear pieces of strut stand 36"...however, so far the racks have passed my longest test (4 boards/3 hour trip), so I think I will hold off for now..let me know how you make out if you go through the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top