LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Racks

Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
thors-Taco is on a distinguished road
thors-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
New Racks

I have been looking for some racks that could be bought for my 07 Taco but without spending an arm and a leg, couldn't find anything off the shelf but did manage to piece together a system that would marry up with my old Yakima bike racks. Works great for hauling my various surfboards (10 foot plus). The aluminum struts are made by a company called 80/20 and they along with the brackets they sell fit nicely with the Taco's inner rail system.
Attached Thumbnails
New Racks-racks-taco.jpg.jpg   New Racks-rear-rack.jpg.jpg   New Racks-front-rack.jpg.jpg  
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I have done with my tie down cleats. It's my surf rod holder, a plastic tube that holds all of my fishing rods while in transport from Dallas to PINS. I had them finished off by TOFF liners and I made these in the garage with extra time and a little cold beer. Hope pictures post up properly.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/P1010241.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/P1010242.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/P1010243.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...P1010262-1.jpg
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I wanted to attach thumb nails but it didn't work, I'll work on that at a later date.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Kilo - racks look great...how did you connent the vertical stainless piece to the tie down cleats? Is the vertical piece resting on the bed liner where there is the notch for a 6X6?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Thors! I took the large knob from the cleat off and used a regular nut to secure the vertical piece in. At the bottom I welded some square tubing so it would rest on the notches that the bed comes with. This past weekend I drove up to Lake Texoma, into the Oklahoma side about a 2 hour drive, loaded with rod holder and rods, and the brackets didn't move(about 20-25 lbs total). So my first test run was a success!! I'm still thinking about drilling through the bottom and into the bed then threading the bed to screw in another bolt, for added support. I wanted a clean look and utilize what the Taco has to offer. Here are some more pics.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
nicely done Kilo...I was also considering tapping into the bottom of the bed for additional security as the rear pieces of strut stand 36"...however, so far the racks have passed my longest test (4 boards/3 hour trip), so I think I will hold off for now..let me know how you make out if you go through the bed.