1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4cyl vs 6cyl

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blueridge, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    Blueridge

Blueridge [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm buying an 09 Access cab 4x4. I am leaning towards the 2.7L for fuel efficiency reasons, and have this truck ordered (non-commital) but I'm sure I would like the V6 power more. This drop in fuel prices certainly isn't going to last. I have to tow my compact tractor to a dealer for service once a year, weight is about 3K lbs. I'm sure this will tax the little 4 banger, but it's not often. Going to use the truck for commuting to the cabin, about 150mi each way, hunting and the usual hauling you do with a truck. No other towing involved. 4cyl sound like a good choice???

2. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Go big or go home!!!!

3. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Get the V6. I love mine. Great gas mileage, and tons of power. Everybody is always shocked when I say my trucks stock. Most people think I've got something going on under the hood.

Just sos you know, only driving to school and friends houses, I am averaging 20MPG. This is with a good bit of "spirited" (when safe, of course) acceleration.

There is not a day that I drive my truck that I don't enjoy it. That's saying something right there.

4. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    you can probably get away with one as long as that trailer isnt too heavy and you get the tow package on the truck. you'll need to put a trailer brake controller in as well.

5. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM
    Blueridge

Member:
    Socalax91
    I thought of a couple of replies:
    1) like wow dude, thanks for the insightful response :rolleyes:
    2) I'm paying for the gas, not my Mommy :p

but thought better of it as I'm new here and would like some mature responses ;). When I was 17 my post would have been met with "WTF?" :eek:, so thanks anyways.

6. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Seems like the 4 will work fine for you.

If you're worried that the 4 won't be strong enough to haul your tractor, you could always rent a truck with a hitch for the days that you need to take the tractor to and from the shop.

7. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    I purchased the same one! I do some hauling and find my truck can do the job. Had I needed a work truck then I'd have gone with the v6 all the way. However I use mine as a daily comuter and economy is more important. Would I use it for towing? Probably not, as I have another vehicle I can use. There are those here that use the 4cyl 4x4 for towing without issue...perhaps they'll chime in too.

Since you only have to tow once (there and back) per year I don't see any real problems. The v6 will easily handle the job while the 4 cyl will be worked harder...for sure. But since you want economy most of the time, the 4 is really the better choice. Plus, as pointed out, a tow package and trailer brake are needed!

I chose my 4 cyl 4x4 for it's realibilty, versatlity and fuel economy. While the v6 was tempting it was sites like this that helped me to make up my mind. Hope you figure it out and good luck with your new truck!

8. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    We do

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/

9. Oct 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You know this how? Funny how people were saying we would never see $2.00/gallon gas but, lo and behold, there it is.

I don't let fuel prices determine what I drive, plain and simple. If you do, then buy the 4 cylinder. Worse comes to worse, I eat out one time less per week or find another way to cut but I drive what I like.

If fuel prices stay low, will you continue to be happy with your 4 cylinder, that's the question you have to ask yourself.

10. Oct 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    Blueridge

Member:
    I drive a Tundra now- great truck, but I'm tired of putting money in others pockets just because it's a little quicker. It's not that I cannot afford it, but I've taken a stance not to throw away money on fuel when I can drive something more efficient. And I can use the money saved for yet another dinner out :cool: It's not 2 bucks here in Pa, hope it gets there...

11. Oct 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Blueridge, you got the 4.7 or 5.7? Reason I asked is I had a 04 Tundra DC 4.7 V8 (the first full 4 door) that got as good of mileage broken in as my 06 v6 tacoma today. Those V8 4.7 trannies were smooth and pretty fair mpg for an 8 highway driving. Towing stunk but when does it ever not. :D

I can't answer whether you want the 4 or 6, but I'm very happy with tacoma v6. I got rid of the tundra mainly because its footprint was waaaay too big for me. My suggestion is to drive em both and see what you are going to be able to adjust to.

12. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Like everyone else is saying it all depends on what you will be happy with. I have a 97 2.7 4 banger and I love that truck, never had any problems relating to power and my dad now uses it to tow all kinds of lawn equipment around. I now have the 4.0 and love the fact that its there and to tell the truth I get about the same milage with the 4 cyl that I do with the 6. My wife has a 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 and it get 4 miles per gallon better than my V6 Tacoma because at 90 MPH its only turning 1800 RPM's so if you are driving in an area where the 4 cylender will be taxed then the 4.0 might give you better MPG anyway. Overall man we can give you advise all day but drive them both and see what works for you. Tell the dealer you need to take it home and then hook it up and see if it performs to your likeing then buy the one you want. The only advise I will give you is get the one you want not the one that makes the most sense if you can afford it, because a year from now when you have to make the payment you want to be smileing instead of trying to dump a truck you wish you had not bought.

13. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Yup, exactly my point. You make the payment, you should be happy with what you're putting your money towards.

14. Oct 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM
    Blueridge

Member:
    Xedge, I have an 06 DC 4.7. I avg 15-16 on the highway. Never have seen better than 17 with it. Years ago I had a reg cab 4x4 4cyl stick that seemed to last forever, never required anything, it wasn't a racer for sure! I know a guy has an 07 Tacoma DC 4x4 with the 4.0, he says he gets 20mpg local and 23-24 on the highway-hard for me to believe those numbers, look better than the 2.7.

15. Oct 29, 2008 at 4:44 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I know some folks report here good mpg results with 4x2s & 6 spd V6s. I have not experienced 23-24 highway with mine though. I'm finally going to invest in a scangauge with the group buy. The folks here report its a fine tool for monitoring real time mpg #s. Yeah older toyotas went forever without so much as a hiccup, curious what your thoughts after your test drives coming from the tundra.

16. Oct 29, 2008 at 5:18 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Years ago I had a '99 4 cyl Prerunner that was so slow and the MPGs stunk.Probably because of the big tires on both counts.Also was a automatic.
    The 4 cyl today probably had more pep and MPGs that the '99 4 Cyl..at least I would hope so.

17. Oct 29, 2008 at 6:45 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i had 3 4 bangers86,88,02 ,2 autos great on gas 25-26mpg,super slow but those gas milage was great and made up for it. my stick had 35"s and 5.29s it was pretty quick for a 4 banger, gas was so so. my 08 d/c with the 6 is horrible on gas maybe 17-18 on a good day.super fast for a truck. i would have gotton a 4 banger if it came in the the double cab. i'm always towing or loading my trucks and never had a problem with the 4 banger. get it in the stick and you'll be set

18. Oct 29, 2008 at 9:49 AM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    The 2.7 is more than sufficient for your purposes.

On a parallel topic, I find it odd that a lot of people are very quick to point out how it makes little sense, for example, to purchase a hybrid car because the money saved by better economy won't make up the initial purchase cost......but somehow when the reverse querstion is asked, nobody wants to talk about the purchase price. How much more, for example, would a V-6 cost? $1500? $2500? I'm guessing that by the time you add the other bells and whistles that often come with the higher end trucks in a given line, it's probably quite a bit more than that. So, not only do you have considerably higher initial cost, but no means of recouping that by saving on gas.....just the opposite actually. Your losses continue to grow as you drive the vehicle.

I am not bashing anyone for choosing a V-6 and understand that many may need the extra power and towing capacity, but if you don't need it don't spend the money to buy it, and especially not if you are concerned about fuel costs which you have every reason to be.....yes, this temporary drop in gas prices is just that, temporary.

19. Oct 29, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    Blueridge

Member:
    Some great replies here, thanks. Particularly glad to hear that those with the 2.7L are happy with it.

20. Oct 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhat unrelated and FWIW, the EPA on the 5.7 Tundra is better than the EPA on the 4.7s....why??? I think it is because the 5.7 comes with a 6sp auto and the 4.7 comes with a 5sp. I just thought it was interesting. All bets are off when you mash the accelerator.

Products Discussed in

To Top