Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

protecting my Catalytic Converters HELP

Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
gibby is on a distinguished road
gibby's Tacoma Gallery
protecting my Catalytic Converters HELP

Hey All, so i just bought my 1st Taco (2006) because my old truck was stolen, now my whole neighborhood is suffering a pack a thieves taking spare tires and Cats mostly.
i just bought a Cat Clamp but i have 4 cat-converters, how do i protect all of them sans Shotgun and Spotlight!!!

any ideas out there
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy a skid plate that goes under and they actually protect the cats and also there locks you can buy the only ones you gotta protect is the back two and sorry to here about your old truck
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Full skid plating or a cat clamp.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
remove em?
Sweet. Less power FTW!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Our local dealer in conjunction with the PD are joining together to have a theft protection device AND a number (I think VIN?) engraved so that if somehow it gets stolen, the recycler has to check them and report if they are turned in and by whom. That way they can contact us and the bad guy having our engraved cat on them is proof and will get these guys punished.

No cost to us!! Kudos to Concord Toyota and Concord Police!

So in other words, I would engrave your ID on them just in case as well as the clamp. Double protection but why not?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
I would imagine one would need a tune. Does it really remove power on our trucks?
Low end power is lost when the cats are removed.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
gibby's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, i was checking under a friends Off Road (nissan) and the skid plates seemed to cover the Cats, but i can't find the Tacoma equivalent on-line. any favorite sites that'd carry this??
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Banned
ATO or Budbuilt but you are looking at about $500+
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
weld the bolts?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfInferno View Post
weld the bolts?
They cut the cats out with a portable sawall.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
gibby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
They cut the cats out with a portable sawall.
it's ridiculous, i think they wrap the sawz-all in thick cloth all but the blade, and within less than 1 minute they can cut the whole thing out, tail pipe and all if necessary! you'd think it'd wake the dead but they do it right in front of people's houses.
and 2 Cat Clamps is almost 500$ and i can weld extra stuff like razor blades to a skid plate so i'm liking that idea.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
Just happened to my girl the other day. Her car was at work in the employee lot at the hospital, and two guys went around with a sawzall and cut the cats off 3 or 4 cars before someone saw them. Security chased them but they got away. Her car was left with the exhaust pipe just hanging on the ground.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
My converter was stolen on my '98 4Runner:

I've never used the Cat Clamp or anything similar, but why not get skid plates that also provide underbelly protection when off road?

Dan
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
I thought Gen 2's cats were better protected by the way they are mounted in relation to frame members.

My neighborhood is very low crime, but it's easy to see it getting it hacked out parking in the city or something. Being up high it's just too easy to get under.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
I thought Gen 2's cats were better protected by the way they are mounted in relation to frame members.
Hmm, if I weren't at work I'd crawl under and look.

I wonder if there is a way to wrap it or mount something over it that would resist a saw... Good candidate for a DIY mod...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
CAT thefts are on the rise here too. Scary thing is that most of the vehicles that are being targeted are Toyota SUVs. What is the appeal? Are the Toy CATs worth more or just easier to get to?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder4U View Post
CAT thefts are on the rise here too. Scary thing is that most of the vehicles that are being targeted are Toyota SUVs. What is the appeal? Are the Toy CATs worth more or just easier to get to?
People will tell you it's because of the precious metal loading being higher on Toyotas, but I do not believe this. I believe it is a combination of easy access and public misconception of them being worth more money when scrapped.

Dan
Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
Spitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Spitz Stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby View Post
Hey All, so i just bought my 1st Taco (2006) because my old truck was stolen, now my whole neighborhood is suffering a pack a thieves taking spare tires and Cats mostly.
i just bought a Cat Clamp but i have 4 cat-converters, how do i protect all of them sans Shotgun and Spotlight!!!

any ideas out there

Try this:

Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Our local dealer in conjunction with the PD are joining together to have a theft protection device AND a number (I think VIN?) engraved so that if somehow it gets stolen, the recycler has to check them and report if they are turned in and by whom. That way they can contact us and the bad guy having our engraved cat on them is proof and will get these guys punished.

No cost to us!! Kudos to Concord Toyota and Concord Police!

So in other words, I would engrave your ID on them just in case as well as the clamp. Double protection but why not?
Great idea in theory but this only works if the theives take the cats to a reputable salvage yard. My guess is they'd be unloading the cats to a salvage yard owner with greasy palms. Any reputable salvage yard would be suspicious of any one person constantly bringing in catalytic convertors that were clearly cut off a vehicle. Engraving would not be legible if they're just thrown in a scrap pile and crushed, shredded or melted down.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Engraving would not be legible if they're just thrown in a scrap pile and crushed, shredded or melted down.
That's why you engrave at the atomic level silly.