1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer brake controller wiring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alweldon, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    alweldon

alweldon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Lithonia, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    I have an issue similar to one poosted on 04-2011 by Taco 1985.
    My tacoma is a 2007 SR5 prerunner without towing package. I'm wiring it for trailer brakes. Although it has no towing package it does have a connector for the brake controller to be wired to. Taco 1985 was having difficulty getting power to the connector. Assuming that could be done successfully and the controller was wired to the connector, what the heck do I use to connect to trailer connector at the bumper of my truck?? Should I just direct wire the controller?

Addition:
    If I use the existing connection, each wire from the controller goes to a pin at the prewired connection, but at this point nothing goes to the trailer connection. From where would I run the wire for that?

2. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Hey man, I haven't actually done this myself but since no one else has said anything.......I have seen other people use 10 gauge wire from the battery, through a circuit breaker, then to the controller and then back to the plug on the bumper. If you can get power to the controller, then you just need a wire from the controller to the plug at the rear of the truck. The brake controller instructions should tell you what size wire and breaker, but I know I have seen it done with a 30 amp breaker and 10 gauge. Just not sure if that's heavy enough, that's why I would check the instructions.

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Realizing you've long since answered your question, maybe this will be useful to someone else. The factory female connection gives you power and ground for your trailer brake controller. That same female plug is tied into your (properly installed) 7-way trailer wiring harness. Thus the 5 wires in that connector. The controller's signal to the trailer is carried in the harness.

I installed a Prodigy P2 in my 2011 using the under-dash female connector and a factory-supplied male jumper. I didn't have to run any other wires. My wiring diagram is explained at the bottom of this post:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/to...digy-p2-trailer-brake-controller-install.html

Be careful about splicing into wiring on your late model Tacoma. Some wires carry computer data, not straight voltage, and you can seriously fry expensive stuff just by probing the wrong wires. It might be worth paying someone fifty bucks to install your trailer brake controller.

Products Discussed in

To Top